Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am in my 40's with two children and really want to find ways to get us all into running. Last year I started the park run with my son, but this only lasted a few months. I think this is partly because motivation failed on my part to get up early every sunday morning to do it, and also because I am not as fit as my son. I would love to be able to keep up with him, but he is 10 and has a lot more stamina than i do. So I was wandering if anyone has any tips on how I can tackle some of the barriers to condition myself to run longer. I can jog at slow pace for about 10 minutes but then I get tired with lactic acid build up, short of breath and chest feels a bit tight. I know this is probably normal if I am unfit and not used to running, but wandered how much I should push this, and how can I build up stamina? I try to listen to music to motivate myself when running and excercise more, but are there other things I should be doing ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

What you`re experiencing is completely normal, it`s just down to lack of fitness, nothing more nothing less.

If you`re only running / jogging once a week, you`re not going to be able to overcome this, as your fitness won`t ever improve ( unless you`re doing other forms of exercise during the week too )

Could you possibly find the time to get out every other day, as you`ll quickly notice the difference in your fitness if you do ?

As mad as this sounds, if you`re blown out after 10 mins, you`re going too fast.

Reduce your speed, even if that means that you`re just above a fast walking speed.

If you can comfortably hold a conversation, you`re going at the right speed and should be able to stretch your runs out a bit longer week by week.

Once you`re comfortable with running for 10 mins try adding another five mins on the following week and take it from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've not been running all that long, so I may not be the best for advice, although getting our more often looks to be the overall answer.

I also started park run, a few years ago, and only stopped as I needed to be running longer distances at the time.For me personally, I run during my lunch hour at work, which allows me to get out 2-3 times a week, and probably more if I wanted. During intense training times I've run from my house into work, then on lunch, and then home. You soon see the difference. Also running in the morning/evening can be workable as well.

Train further during the week where possible, and then both yoursself/son hit the park runs on weekends?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. I think you are right. I am trying to run before I can even walk fast :rolleyes: I do need to get out more, so going to aim for 3 times a week, even if they are 20 min sessions, as I think I can fit this in. Going to try this for a couple of months and when I get fitter, I can take my son out with me, and hopefully eventually keep up with him on a 20 minute run to start with. I dont think I am ready for those intense workouts yet, but will make a start:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks both. I think you are right. I am trying to run before I can even walk fast :rolleyes: I do need to get out more, so going to aim for 3 times a week, even if they are 20 min sessions, as I think I can fit this in. Going to try this for a couple of months and when I get fitter, I can take my son out with me, and hopefully eventually keep up with him on a 20 minute run to start with. I dont think I am ready for those intense workouts yet, but will make a start:)
Once you start, keep posting, that`ll give you more motivation (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep yep, get out there and keep it going.

I only started around a year or so ago, but you soon see the difference. Started running from work to home [around 1.2 mile in total] having to take breaks every few minutes as I was seriously unfit. Now I run 3+ miles 2-3 times a week, and have run further before as well. You soon see the difference :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Look at doing the ‘Couch to 5k’ training program. It’s requires you to go out 3-times a week for about 9-weeks, and will give you some structure.

I found the NHS Couch to 5k podcast was good, it’s like going out with a personal trainer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts