Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started jogging this (am) and really enjoyed it. We have a small park near us and I ran around (almost like mini laps) 5 times. I walked, jogged, stretched etc and afterwards felt great.
My question is this. For about a year or so now I have been suffering from low moods and alot of tension (well severe tension) in my neck and shoulders. It just seems that no matter what I try to alleviate it doesn't work. Will jogging make the tension worse or is it beneficial? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Look forward to hearing from you
x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Transformer!
Although regular running can help relieve muscular tension, it doesnt necessarily mean that itll help you. You may need to look at other remedies such as regular massaging of the head, shoulders, neck, etc.
However, as for the low moods; i always find that whenever im feeling down or 'blue' then a good run really helps lift my spirits. I hear this is because of the endorphins released in the brain during exercise but i wouldnt know about that!!! But you'll probably find that after the first couple sessions (which are usually the hardest as youre just starting) that youll really start to enjoy it and your moods will lift. I remember when i finished my first half marathon and i was on a high for about two days afterwards!!! :)
Rb .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi RB and thanks for responding. Yes I think you're right, I'll maybe look into massage etc but continue with the running aswell. I only ran for about 20mins yesterday (alternating between walking and running) and today my legs are aching (kinda a good pain though). I'll probably leave it today and go out again tomorrow, don't want to overdo things and cause any injury etc...
Thanks again
x

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah dont overdo it as like you say youl just injure yourself. Try going swimming or something like today? It still works the muscles, works your stamina but doesnt put any stress on your joints, etc. I find swimming is the best thing for me when im aching. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts