Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, i am new to the forum and thought i would introduce my self. I am running on and off at the minute ie i work on the riggs for two weeks on and two off and thats where i do my running. I typicaly run between 6k and 10k most days depending on how knackered i am with the job but its all on the treadmill. I have really been thinking about getting out when i am at home too and seeing if i can get my running up to a good standard. On a good day ill be under 46 mins for 10k and i reckon with a wee bit running at home this will get better but will i find this a lot harder on the roads than on the treadmill?

edit i should say i got under 46mins once he he

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Blimey, you are an early bird. Welcome.

You will find outside different. Having made the same move not so long ago all I would say is don't set off too fast and you should be fine.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF.

I suspect you'll find it easier on the road..but as Hrun says take it steady to start with.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi

Welcome to RF.

You will love running outside, it's the best :d

TT

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Many people often find the 'outside world' harder to start with - I would imagine it's due to the fact that the treadmill is dragging the floor from underneath you at a constant rate, which means a) you have to run or you'll fall off the end, and b) you are forced to keep a perfectly even pace.

Once you get used to being outside and pacing yourself more evenly, I have every confidence you'll soon find the treadmill a LOT harder, probably through the boredom of the non-changing scenery!

Best of luck though, and if there's anything you need to ask, then ask away - everyone will chip in their opinions and advice ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I started running on a treadmill but then decided to start running outdoors. I havent been back to the gym since and Im still running outside. Its so much more fun and also the same route can change depending on the weather and scenery. On the treadmill its the same old every time. :)

O.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea im thinking it could be a little easier in the sence that ill have more to look at, space is limited on the rig so the treadmill is facing against a wall where there is a picture of some marathon runners running at me, we all just run at each other and get no where lol.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Welcome Ryan, I've been in a few gyms on a few rigs some are better than others. One of the most interesting treadmill experiences was on an FPSO, certainly helps the balance.

Good luck making the transition to the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha i never been on one yet, i did have quite an experiance on a ship when i hitched a lift from Canada back home years ago. Can anyone tell me what gait annalysis is all about? i never heard of it before. Can anyone recomend a running shop in edinburgh to get some descent shoes and gear?, thanks.

Ps My spellings really bad but i cant use the spell check here, sorry :(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Extract from something I've just written that will hopefully go on a site i'll be hoping to launch soon... It's certainly not a comprehensive guide to gait analysis but explains what it is...

When shopping for a running shoe, a decent running shop will analyse your running style. This may be through asking you to run on a treadmill and watch or video you from behind and explain their findings, they may ask you to walk across a pressure sensitive pad to understand what your foot is doing as you move, or they may just ask to watch you jog down the road, whatever their method they should see you run. Without seeing you run they can only guess which trainers will provide you with adequate support and cushioning. Watching and understanding what your feet and legs do whilst running is typically known as gait analysis.

Once the shop staff have seen your style of running, and spoken to you regarding the type of running you do, they can recommend various trainers to you based of the level of support, cushioning, and motion control you require. Don't be too worried by the terms, support, stability, motion control, cushioning, structured cushioning etc, the sales person can advise you on what you need.

I'm yet to write the more in depth bit about gait analysis... but basically its the bit about 'what your feet and legs are doing'... a typical person will land on the heel of their foot, and the foot will then roll forwards and inwards. The inward roll of the foot is known as pronation. If the foot rolls too far inwards it causes additional strain on certain muscles and ligaments which can often cause injury, in this situation you are deemed to be an 'overpronator' and require a shoe that has the correct support to control your foot better and ensure it doesn't overpronate anymore. Don't worry about understanding it all too much though, the salesperson should explain it all to you as you go along ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i definatly need to get this done, i change the way im running all the time. It might sound daft but i have a real hard time trying to run slow, i dont seem to be able to move my upper body much and i get sore shoulders and dead hands. Its easier for me to run fast where i have more movement in my upper body and i dont get these symptoms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts