Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, thought I would come in and introduce myself having lurked for the last couple of days.

My name is Sam, and I have just started the Couch to 5K program. I have fancied running for years, but always found an excuse not to start :rolleyes:

So I did my first run/walk yesterday, and really enjoyed it, I have a few fields near me and it was quite relaxing pootling around them, although I was quite sweaty by the end and my face was :mad: <- that sort of colour (not so fierce looking though!). I really wanted to go again today, but the program says to rest every other day, so I guess I should follow that until I build some fitness.

Anyhows, I will keep you updated, and feel that this forum will be a great source of support/advice, you seem like a nice bunch of chaps and chapesses :love:

Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi Sam,
Welcome to RF and the world of running.

You are right to rest today and to take things slowly and patiently. Don't worry about pace...just get used to run/walking and then running without stopping....but not too far too soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sam, I echo what Steve has said above. It took a while for me to find a pace I could run at for a reasonable distance without feeling I needed to stop. I havn't been running long and I seem to have come on leaps and bounds. Its a nice feeling running past with ease the points where you would normally stop to recover a bit.

Welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Sam!

I think following a program is definately the best way to start; I followed a 3 weeks to 30 minutes program and I think that if it hadn't eased me in gently I would have given up. Also following the rest days keeps you hungry to go running again, not burn out :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome Sam. Stick to the program. You will be tempted to speed up but will pay later. If you haven't already get yourself the correct trainers before you start running proper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the advice and welcome :d

Welcome Sam. Stick to the program. You will be tempted to speed up but will pay later. If you haven't already get yourself the correct trainers before you start running proper.
I am using my old Adidas cross trainers at the moment, but I fully intend to get a decent pair of running shoes in a few weeks time when I get paid. There's a shop in Swindon (Run Swindon) that does video gait analysis and the guy in there seemed really knowledgeable so i will go and see him when I've got some wedge :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Sam

Welcome to RF.

stick to the schedule and you will go far geddit go far :lol:

TT :d

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sooo, 4 weeks on and I am now completely hooked on running! :)

4 weeks ago it was a struggle to run for 60 seconds at a time. This morning I did a 25 minute run with no walking, I was so incredibly proud of myself.

I went to a running shop a couple of weeks ago, and they fitted me out with a pair of Mizuno Inspire shoes which are lovely. The chap in the shop was so helpful and knowledgeable - he spent around 45 minutes assessing my gait and getting me to try lots of shoes on as well, and he chucked in a free pair of running socks with them as well!

I just feel fantastic at the moment, I've lost a load of weight already (I have cut most of the crap out of my diet which is helping as well), and feel generally fitter and more confident in myself.

Just wanted to share as I have drawn a lot of inspiration from this forum. Thanks to everyone.:love:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
cool nice going Sammy, keep giving us updates on your progress, it sounds like you are doing great.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Fantastic going Sammy.

Great that things have come on so well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts