Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I've been running for a while now, but would like to get a bit more involved in the running community, which is why I've joined the forum.

I've always ran to aid my other sports (play a lot of tennis) and to keep my level of fitness quite high, but over the last couple of years I've been doing quite a few races. I started my running career (in the deep end) at the London Marathon in 2004 but have since done the Great North the past 2 years, Silverstone and a a few 10ks.

I've got my half marathon time to 1:20, but feel I could go faster, but just don't know how! I'd really like to know how to take it to the next level, whether it's just a case of getting the miles in, eating more (pretty sure I don't eat as much as I should be for the amount I'm training!) or just gritting my teeth and hammering it on the day. So any hints or tips would be great!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Olliejc

I have been running for nearly a year now, but have had teething problems, OOOHH your half time is excellent, i cannot possibly comment on how to get that lower i am still trying to knock off a bit off my own half marathon times :p even a few mins would be nice. I am sure the more faster/experienced runners will give you some advice.

Welcome to this lovely forum

:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Leece. A few minutes is harder than it sounds isn't it. Having always done running as an extra, I can sympathise with the teething problems, having a fair few of them myself!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum!
That is a great 1/2 Marathon time! I have only been running since January so can't give much advice on how to get a faster time, I was pleased with just getting under the 2 hour mark at my last race :)

There are some really experienced people on here who will be able to help with your running but out of interest what is your current training like?

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hi Olliejc. Welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of great advice here. I'm pretty much at the 1:25 for half marathon in training and do 30-40 miles a week. I reckon to get sub 1:20 requires 50+ miles a week and some good speed sessions. Other's who have actually broken 1:20 might be able to give more detailed advice.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yeah had a great start to running last year from March onwards it went a bit pear shaped for me, so having to take a few steps back and return to some basics... but i am slowly coming on again.

I too have problems with eating properly for the training i do, i dont think i put enough fuel in comparison to what i am burning, so affectively i am burning maybe muscle or stored fats.

My calorie in intake can be as low as 1000 cals a day, and considering i burn 500 cals in my lunch hour, i am not doing myself any good, i was only eating cornflakes etc for dinners.

The weekend i ate well saturday and sunday and sunday night i went out for a long run (11 miles) and felt full of energy so i have decided to up my in take eating proper food for running. (have a half in October)

I also decided to forgot my old times and start a fresh, new pair of runner trainers and fresh mind.

Hopefully this will start me in the right direction from now on.

I dont want to be 1st in races just would like to improve the times i have got.

At the moment i train/run 6 times a week with Sat off (2 of them days are X training at gym 1 cardio including tready)

Are you part of a Club Olli ???

This could really help you to come along with your times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! Welcome to the forum!
That is a great 1/2 Marathon time! I have only been running since January so can't give much advice on how to get a faster time, I was pleased with just getting under the 2 hour mark at my last race :)

There are some really experienced people on here who will be able to help with your running but out of interest what is your current training like?

O.
Hi Owain. Because I used to play tennis at quite a high level, I do a lot of cross training, but I'm trying to gear up more towards running at the moment. I generally train 6 days a week, usually 3 relatively fast 10ks-about 35 mins, one hour long at race pace (16k/hr) 2 long runs a week- about 15 miles, cycling to work on and off, then 2 weight sessions around the running and as much court time as I can get for tennis. Keeps me busy!

How are you finding the running so far, enjoying it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Olliejc. Welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of great advice here. I'm pretty much at the 1:25 for half marathon in training and do 30-40 miles a week. I reckon to get sub 1:20 requires 50+ miles a week and some good speed sessions. Other's who have actually broken 1:20 might be able to give more detailed advice.
Thanks JBBury. I figured as much, it's just finding the time to do all those miles! I know there's no quick alternative though. I've heard some people go for more strength and power work to build race fitness, but I don't how effective that is. Do you do many half marathons?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Leece. That certainly is a low calorie intake! I definitely eat more than that but I often come off the treadmill having done about 1200 cals, knowing I'm prob not eating more than 2500 for the day. I've just never been a massive eater, so trying to force myself to have more early in the day. Hard to fit all the training and eating around work sometimes!

Which 1/2 are you doing in Oct? I've got Bristol coming up in Sept, then Greath North in Oct, trying to sort my food intake for those races. Know what you mean, I had a full meal at lunch the other day (which I don't usually do) and felt brill on my run that evening.

I'm not running with a club at the moment. I play tennis at Esporta in Oxford and being a member, I can go with the running club there but have never got round to it, the times have never been good with my work, but I should make more of an effort! I did think it would probably be a good idea to train with other people. Can be a lonely game, the old running.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I only get Hour for Lunch Ollie, i train at a Esporta in Norwich so i go there lunchtimes to get out.

So i do about 25-30 mins on Treadmill only, the rest i do rower etc, few weights etc. i normally only eat crackerbread and fruit and bag of crisps then think i can run with the club for 5 miles or more... i feel burnt out before i started... so its my own fault really.

My half i am doing in October is RUN To The Beat in london i applied for this when i first see it in Runners World, then all of a sudden it was full... so few club members are doing it also.

We are staying down there the night before this time, last race i did was british10k where i drove down at 4 o clock in morning eek !!!!!

So wont be doing that again.

I be looking at local races that i did last year after that.... hopefully the race in october will go ok for me, its around O2 arena and greenwich so it should be a lovely run......... (please pretty) haha

Was hoping to do Amsterdam Half in October yet as my in laws live there so i could coincide it with a trip to them :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Thanks JBBury. I figured as much, it's just finding the time to do all those miles! I know there's no quick alternative though. I've heard some people go for more strength and power work to build race fitness, but I don't how effective that is. Do you do many half marathons?
I have never entered a race, so all my running is done alone with my ipod and garmin. I've ran and timed myself over half-marathon distance 3 times, but the 1:25 was the only time I actually went all out for a fast time. It hurt a llot. I can only dream of going sub 1:20. That one is a real benchmark. Personally, I'm not motivated enough to put in the work to achieve that.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi ollie,

In at the deep end in 2004, I did likewise in 2005.

That's an impressive half time you have there, was that achieved at Silverstone?

The reason I ask is because Silverstone has been a tough event whenever I've taken part, although it's a flat course, it's very exposed to the elements.

It might be worth testing yourself over a flat course that isn't so exposed just to see if you'll go any quicker with the training that you're doing anyway.

Other than that, miles, miles and more miles I reckon, with a good mix of all types of sessions.

There are some good books out there that may be of interest to you. Bob Glover gives some great tips in his and Hal Higdon's book gets a mention on the forum quite frequently.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I too have problems with eating properly for the training i do, i dont think i put enough fuel in comparison to what i am burning, so affectively i am burning maybe muscle or stored fats.

My calorie in intake can be as low as 1000 cals a day, and considering i burn 500 cals in my lunch hour, i am not doing myself any good, i was only eating cornflakes etc for dinners.

[ QUOTE]

Blimey Leece, I don't think that would be enough energy for me to sleep, let alone do a days work and run.:eek:
As you've said, you feel much better by taking a bit more fuel in.:)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
How are you finding the running so far, enjoying it?
Loving it, as a lot of people on here will know Ive gone in the deepend, did 3 half marathons and the Edinburgh full marathon this year! Looking at doing one more half marathon in October and a couple of 10k runs as well :)

O.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi ollie,

In at the deep end in 2004, I did likewise in 2005.

That's an impressive half time you have there, was that achieved at Silverstone?

The reason I ask is because Silverstone has been a tough event whenever I've taken part, although it's a flat course, it's very exposed to the elements.
Hi H F,

I did do that at Silverstone this year, but that was easily the hardest course I've done. Like you say, very open to the elements. It was quite a nice day this year (albeit cold) but the wind was unbelievable. I was flying after 10 miles but when I came back on the track towards the end the wind knocked me for 6 and it was hard enough to finish!

I'm doing Bristol next month which is supposed to be a good course for a decent time. Ironically, everyone talks about the Great North being the hardest with the hills, but to be honest, that's been my fav so far, although the crowds certainly do help!

Thanks for the advice, think I'll do some reading up. Have you got any races coming up yourself?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loving it, as a lot of people on here will know Ive gone in the deepend, did 3 half marathons and the Edinburgh full marathon this year! Looking at doing one more half marathon in October and a couple of 10k runs as well :)

O.
Good work. Once you've got the bug that's it isn't it! What was the Edinburgh like? Heard it's a really nice run, quite hilly though I imagine from the one time I've been up there.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi H F,

I did do that at Silverstone this year, but that was easily the hardest course I've done. Like you say, very open to the elements. It was quite a nice day this year (albeit cold) but the wind was unbelievable. I was flying after 10 miles but when I came back on the track towards the end the wind knocked me for 6 and it was hard enough to finish!

I'm doing Bristol next month which is supposed to be a good course for a decent time. Ironically, everyone talks about the Great North being the hardest with the hills, but to be honest, that's been my fav so far, although the crowds certainly do help!

Thanks for the advice, think I'll do some reading up. Have you got any races coming up yourself?
Firstly, good luck at Bristol Ollie, I hope you do well.

The last part of Silverstone really takes it out of me too, the finish line doesn't seem to want to appear!
I agree with the GNR, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting myself but the crowd made it a good day out.

I've not got any half's lined up at the mo apart from the Royal Parks in October. There will be such a crowd though, so I'm just going to run it for the enjoyment of it all rather than pushing for a time.

I'm more in to the 10k's right now and have 3 planned, along with a 10 miler which is this coming weekend.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Can be a lonely game, the old running.
True, and for that reason I recommend you join a club, of which there are quite a lot in the Oxford area. Not only will you get lots of good advice from those who have 'been there, done that' but also lots of friendly competition, both in training and racing, that will draw the best out of you and almost certainly lower your times. You'll feel more relaxed and less daunted with moral support from club members you've come to know through weekly training sessions and occasional races.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts