Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My name is Tim but I posted as 'NewEngland' since I reside in Vermont, USA. I like to think outside the box, and diversify understanding and that is why I am not going with an American forum. Plus, my ancestors came from Ipswich Ridgewell Essex area around the year 1634 to Ipswich Massachusetts. I was also an exchange student in Southern England years ago, and I felt like I really fit in there. So, with ancestry and the common interest in running; what better place to converse.
I'm 53 years young, and refuse to give in to the aging process. Running is increasing my lifespan, and it definitively makes me feel happier. I have been married for 26 years, and my wife doesn't share my athletic interests, other than the occasional hike. So, I need to build friends in the running department.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welclome to the forum Tim, what part of Southern England did you visit when your were an exchange student?
Hi Graham,
It was awhile ago (1987), when I attended New England College in Arundel England. I really enjoyed the time there: people, food, atmosphere, and overall wellbeing.

·
4,257 Posts
Nice quote. Some morning's it's hard to force yourself to get going and jog before work. But, training is essential for the best outcome. I try to jog before sunrise. How about you?
It depends on what I am training for, for marathons etc. I get out early morning for general training and shorter races I usually get out in the mid afternoon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends on what I am training for, for marathons etc. I get out early morning for general training and shorter races I usually get out in the mid afternoon
That makes sense. Sometimes when I run before dawn; I can't gauge my speed too well, and it would be better to do speed work or interval training during the day, but for base training; nothing beats mornings. Also, it is so peaceful in the mornings with few cars and activity, and the occasional animal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am living in the county of Leicestershire, roughly in the middle of England.
Graham,
Why aren't there more faces on profiles instead of caricatures? Should I be more discrete in my profile and remove my picture? Is it a security issue or something? Also, you're about 40 minutes south of Nottingham. Do you have good trails to run where you are?
Tim

·
Registered
476 Posts
Graham,
Why aren't there more faces on profiles instead of caricatures? Should I be more discrete in my profile and remove my picture? Is it a security issue or something? Also, you're about 40 minutes south of Nottingham. Do you have good trails to run where you are?
Tim
I used the Avatar as I used to like the band 'Madness' back in the 1980s, amongst others.

Yeah, I am just South of Nottingham. In the past I have in the ran along a local canal and a woodland area which was nice, but I haven't managed to get along their this year. I have pounded the pavements to death this year, which can get a bit boring. I do same the same routes to compare on Garmin Connect my progress, this is one of the way I find motivates me to keep going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the Avatar as I used to like the band 'Madness' back in the 1980s, amongst others.

Yeah, I am just South of Nottingham. In the past I have in the ran along a local canal and a woodland area which was nice, but I haven't managed to get along their this year. I have pounded the pavements to death this year, which can get a bit boring. I do same the same routes to compare on Garmin Connect my progress, this is one of the way I find motivates me to keep going.
Graham,
I noticed that there are a lot of running trails in Surrey on a YouTube video. Is that an area that you'd recommend? Also, what (smaller than London) marathon's would you recommend. I like the idea of multiple day marathon challenges: Barrow 10 marathon's in 10 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts