Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running for only 4 weeks training for a 10k in a few weeks time. Im up to 9k in 55 mins, which i know isnt great but its quite an acheivement for me and i must say, i think ive caught the bug.

Cheers.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
That's not bad at all for a beginner...well done.
You've time to add the extra mileage in training and pick up a little more speed to do the 10k in 60mins.
Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard or overtrain.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome to a really friendly website. I have only been running a few months, just done my first 10k. Your time sounds good to me, make sure you take it steady though. There is lots of advice from experienced runners here. I spend too much time looking at this rather than working!!!

good luck with the training.

Bagpuss (Lyn)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Welcome to a really friendly website. I have only been running a few months, just done my first 10k. Your time sounds good to me, make sure you take it steady though. There is lots of advice from experienced runners here. I spend too much time looking at this rather than working!!!

good luck with the training.

Bagpuss (Lyn)
I knew there was some reason why I am at this desk...work, forgot all about it again!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Time for my coffee break.....first of the day so not bad for me! Trouble is now I'm logged in I'm here for the day!

Hillwork tonight...yuk!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve,

Still at work and still logged on. Definately addictive, it's nice to keep in touch, see what other 'runners' are up to.........Hillwork...ugh, I need to do some of that to build up my stamina. I am running at 6:00am tomorrow, hell, I think it's still going to be dark, better dig out the reflective gear!

cheers

Lyn.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss,

You work long hours! Must be a trojan at heart!

18 hill reps last night...hard work but it's certainly good for one's stamina. I see you've done really well with your 5k and 10k times considering how long you've been running. If you can do some hillwork and speed work, ideally with others to encourage you to work hard and to have a competitive edge to the session, you'll get those times right down before you know it.

In a different life I used to do 6am runs...hated it. Much prefer mid morning or evening runs.

How did it go this am?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Steve,

I Work shifts, people probably think I'm at home when they see 'odd' hours on the forums, but I'm still at work....but obviously not working. Every other week I get up at 3:15am, so I don't run before work!!!

I am thinking of entering a 10k on 29th Oct.....but it is a 'Ladies Only'....is that a bit of a 'girlie' thing to do, don't think they have 'men only' races....do they?

It just sounds like a good run, nice scenery, different to usual home runs, a month after my 1st 10k, so I thought it would be good practice as my nerves seem to zap my energy, and I must get over that. I would like to see how my time does, depends on the day I suppose!

We have a few good hills around home, so hate the thought of running up them, but I know it will do me good.

Lyn.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lyn,

My normal training route includes a couple of hills, nothing drastic, but a couple of long inclines, and I've found it really helps to be used to it when you encounter them in a 10K. There's a really big ladies only10K in Glasgow every May and the girls in my work who do it really enjoy it. They had a much smaller scale men only this year which I gave a go and it was fine. A run's a run !

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks Don,

Think I will enter, it will be good practice for me. Looking at the results from the last two years they get some good runners enter.

Only big dilema is that I will have to 'behave' and not drink at the big Halloween bash at my local hostelry the night before!!! oh well, better to go for a good run than have a mega bad head all day.

Lyn.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve,

Maybe you could put on a dress and be 'a lady' for the day!.....you might enjoy it!

Tea and cakes afterwards...very civilised!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quick leg wax beforehand....might make you run faster!.....more aerodynamic...........or maybe if someone ran behind you with the wax!

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is getting to sound like a sketch from Little Britain!

I have some 'juggling boobs' that you could borrow....they are very realistic!....but you might need a sports bra then.

I will look out for you, chiffon or crimpolean!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Perhaps something that Scarlett O'Hara might have worn! What would Trinny and Susannah say?
"Juggling boobs"....the mind boggles! Must admit I do see them sometimes but thought that was because no sports bra was being worn! :embarrassed:
I'd need a wig too!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a witches wig, the race is on Halloween weekend!
Perhaps you could come as 'The only gay in the village' instead......although it might be a bit hot in the rubber pants!
Anyway, I am going to forego the alcoholic parties and enter. If they let me in that is....suppose I am 'a lady'!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts