Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im 21 years old, 1/2 years ago i was in a bad car crash that broke my left femer in seven places i had to have a rod and pins. Now i want to start running agian now my leg is ok and dont hert no more, i started running monday and tbh i am unfit to say the least. i went running round my park what has a football pitch, i ran round it 2 times and was breathing heavy. I am now starting to go running on my lunch for 20 mins a day then about 6pm for about 30 mins.

I did put on weight and im now 15.5 stone and 5 foot 11, I dont want to go on a diet tho as i find that to hard and like my food, however i do want to get toned and loose body fat.

Any tips on this and how far should i run a day etc.

Many thanks for reading my 1st post

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum Funky.

I wont give you any advice because there are far more qualified people on here than me to do that.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Intially aim to run 3-4 times a week making sure you have rest days in between. When I started running I found it helpful to follow a walk/run programme that was designed to get me running continously for 30 mins then I worked my way up to running for 1 hrs and now can run 10-12 miles on my long runs.

Make sure you have decent running shoes but if you've run before you should know that. I understand what you mean about diets but make sure you eat healthily lots of fresh veg and fruit and try and eat in moderation - avoid 5 mars bars in one go. Try and reduce the amount of takeaways you have as well - maybe to once a month.

Welcome and good luck

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and well done for getting motivated again

After such a trauma to your body the most important thing when getting back into sport is to listen carefully to what your body tells you.

There are no hard and fast rules to start with except take adequate rest between training so your body can get used to it's new regime and build strength gradually, at it's own pace.

You're leg may feel fine but when you put the strain of running though it it needs time to adjust, especially as it has been pinned.

That's good advice from SE but I would take it easier to begin with... no more than 3 runs per week, separated by rest days. Given what you are doing at the moment, you could do maybe two runs of 30 mins and one of 40 during a week. If it's too much your body will tell you. You don't want to be aching at this stage...just bringing your fitness back up.

I wouldn't run twice a day just yet or you could be setting yourself up for injury.

Increase your training time very very gradually over a number of weeks.

You might even want to think of a long term goal to keep you motivated. Perhaps a 10 k later in the year, or a half marathon in a year's time.

I can understand that you don't want to diet... diets rarely work long term anyway. The answer is to eat the right foods. Look at the fat content and aim to reduce it as much as you can, with the odd treat now and then.

Eat plenty of protein, which the body uses for growth and repair of tired muscles etc. Watch your carbohydrate intake too, have enough so you have a store of energy but not too much. Eat plenty of fruit and veg, or if you fancy something with chocolate on it choose a chocolate coated cereal bar.

Drink plenty of water, it will help you drop weight and ensure you don't overeat.

Hope all this helps
Good luck

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Funkyshots :d got to be careful when I type your name already had to re-type it :embarrassed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts