Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since your nice forum software told me to.... i'm introducing myself.

I used to be a MTBer in my younger years, pretty inactive during uni and then after graduating looking for something to get me off the sofa after the 9-5 of working.

Triathlete friends suggested my cycling background put me part of the way to triathlon, apart from my pathological fear of water. so i started into duathlon which is where my first experience of running came in.

Since then I've grown to love long distance running (and also conquered my swimming issues) and kept a foot in the triathlon scene.

One thing led to another and now I find myself focussing on ultra distance running.

I was dissappointed at the lack of information online about UK ultra distance running so started up a website for it (no prizes for guessing)..... which is how i ended up here, my statistics showed up a link to an article on the site from a thread here (about sharon gayter's LEJOG record) which i checked out and wanted to drop a note on.

Any questions class? ;)

ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
ed_m said:
my statistics showed up a link to an article on the site from a thread here (about sharon gayter's LEJOG record) which i checked out and wanted to drop a note on.
ed
Hi there Ed, and welcome to the Forum.
Must confess, it was me who half-inched the Sharon Gayter article from your website and put it on the Forum to hopefully inspire one and all. Don't know whether it did - there was only one reply and, like me, he was totally gob-smacked by Sharon's achievement.
Last time I came across Sharon was in the 1999 James Herriot ½ marathon where I took the MV65 prize. Sharon finished about two minutes behind me on that occasion but must have come on a ton since. Wouldn't like to cross swords with her now! She's amazing!!!
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
ed_m said:
Any questions class? ;)
<looks around to make sure no-one from Fetch or RW is looking>

Actually... there is one question... do you know much about the Gatliff marathon? What's it like? Someone at the running club is trying to persuade me to enter... I'm not going to race it... but I'm in OK shape at the moment (did Abingdon in 3:31) and it might be a nice (very) long slow training run... but I've never done anything this length before... nor have I done much off road stuff... and I've never run with a backpack or carried a torch and spare clothes before?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Runningfox said:
Hi there Ed, and welcome to the Forum.
Must confess, it was me who half-inched the Sharon Gayter article from your website and put it on the Forum to hopefully inspire one and all. Don't know whether it did - there was only one reply and, like me, he was totally gob-smacked by Sharon's achievement.
you're welcome to link to the site anytime :p
i got distracted by the registration, introductory thread thing and then lunch and a meeting so havent made it across there yet. question is can i remember what i was going to say!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hollywood said:
Actually... there is one question... do you know much about the Gatliff marathon? What's it like? Someone at the running club is trying to persuade me to enter... I'm not going to race it... but I'm in OK shape at the moment (did Abingdon in 3:31) and it might be a nice (very) long slow training run... but I've never done anything this length before... nor have I done much off road stuff... and I've never run with a backpack or carried a torch and spare clothes before?!
i know nothing.. apart from when iu looked it up it wasnt when or where i expected it to be!

assume its navigation too...? take it steady, route finding is as important as speed!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top