Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Elliot, I'm 16 years old and I joined the runnersforum to help motivate me with my training. I just started running last week to train for the Great Midlands Fun Run (8 and a half miles) which will be on 1st June. I don't really do much physical activity except badminton which I play twice a week (on Sunday morning and Monday evening).
I have done this fun run twice before, both times with almost no training what so-ever.
I used to play football and in 2005, at the age of 13, I finished the run in a respectable 1 hour 28, with only the training I got from football. I quit football at the end of 2006, and ran the fun run in summer 2007 finishing in 1 hour 45 minutes - almost 20 minutes slower than 2 years previously! This really showed the impact quitting football had had on me. I took up badminton just over a year ago, but this doesn't really assist in long-distance running training as it is almost entirely anaerobic.

I recently discovered that the fun run registration had again opened and after looking at some photos on the Great Midlands Fun Run website from last year's event, I was suddenly inspired to run. The problem is, I only have just over 100 days to train.

I today tried to make a running routine, but looking at it, it looks fairly unrealistic.
The plan is that I run/walk, 3 times a week, approximately:
3 miles for the next 3 weeks
4 miles for the following 2 weeks
5 miles for the next 4 weeks
6 miles for the following 3 weeks
and 7 miles for the last 3 weeks leading up to the run.

I realise that I have left it late, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how I could improve the fitness regime with the small time I have and a time I could set myself as a challenge.

Thanks, for your time and help in advance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi Elliot, welcome to the forum.

Left it late!!?? No way! I'm two weeks away from our local half marathon and I'm amazed how many new faces there are putting in their last minute training around the local streets.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you programme looks very realistic and achievable, even to the point that at your age your previous times will be smashed, leaving you with an even bigger target next time!

Motivation might be your biggest enemy and most of us oldies may have the task of losing some weight to help with that side of things. It sounds as if your motivation will be to get fit. I set out a year ago to lose weight and managed to end up fitter than I have ever been in my life as well as losing over 3 stone.

It also helped me by entering races. Having made that financial commitment (not much to some folk, but to others, it can be a big chunk of their spare cash) I'm determined not to waste it.

You've made that commitment, so good luck with the run. Let us know how the training progresses

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

You've really helped me to think I've got a good chance. I didn't realise you could get so much work done in about 14 weeks. It'll also help me to continue posting my progress so that I can record and see how the hard work is paying off.

You're right in saying that the motivation is the hardest part. I tried running 3 times a week last June after my last competitive run. I kept it up for about a month and a half, but after stopping for one week, I never got back into the groove of things and haven't run since.

I've got myself a pedometer to measure my steps, time and distance and I will make a record of my times to see the improvements. That is probably the form of motivation that helps me most - seeing improvements. I hope by June I will at least be able to run the majority of the course and who knows, if I really start to enjoy running, I might take it a step further and begin to run more competitive races and perhaps increase to half marathons or even marathons.

Thanks again for your help and I'm off to do my first run! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts