Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Carl, I'm new to all of this running malarkey, but thought I'd give it a go.

I play rugby at grassroots level and also train at taekwon-do.

Happy running.
Carl

·
Registered
123 Posts
welcome
You will find lots of friendly people and advice here. Good luck with the running. What belt are you at taekwon-do? my son has been doing it for just over a year and has a yellow belt with a green tag 7th cup i think.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the welcomes.

I am a 1st Dan at ITF TKD - I'm aiming for 2nd Dan this Autumn. Good luck to your son :) What assiociation does he train with?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the chances - I also train with PUMA! But in Nottinghamshire - with Mr Bradshaw.

I may well see you about at competitions and gradings!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Long time, no post!

So I thought I'd ressurect my post here, rather than creating a new thread.

I've been plagued with injuries over the last year or so and have just started to be able to jog again.

Last year, I had a persistant back problem, so couldn't run much. This May, I ruptured my medial collateral ligament in my left knee and couldn't do anything at all for 3 months. I started to go jogging again in September, did a couple of weeks - starting with a 2 mile run twice in the first week. Then did a 3.5 mile run 3 times per week - started to enjoy it again.

Then 3 fat blokes landed on me at rugby. Cue grade 2 sternoclavicular joint sprain, grade 1 acromioclavicular joint sprain, torn trapezius, pulled deltoid and pulled pectoral and lots of swearing.

So, Saturday was my return to rugby - which we won. Yesterday was my return to jogging - 5.5 miles around Derby City. Aching legs, but feeling good.

Unless I get crocked again, I'm hoping to enter a 10 race next year - the Derby 10k and the Underwood 10k. The Underwood 10k is quite hilly though, but I live almost on it's route, so I've got no excuse for not getting in the training.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Yeah, this year has been pretty poo on the injury front - I think it's just age catching me up. I've had no real injuries over 12 years of rugby & 10 years of martial arts, other than bumps & bruises, finger breaks/dislocation and the like. So I can count myself lucky, by comparison.

Still, onwards and upwards, or something. Off for another run tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Crikey! Sounds like a pretty rough year! Fair play to you for playing rugby - I have to admit I'm a complete wuss and avoided it at all costs whilst at school.

Here's hoping you can stay injury free long enough to enter that 10k... there's nothing quite like the feeling of crossing the finish line :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts