Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just came across this forum- seems great!

I've been running on and off for the last few years but trying to get a bit more "serious" now.
Hoping to enter a few 5ks and maybe a 10k or two this year.
I've decided I want to run a marathon :)eek: ) by the time I turn 40. I'm 36 this year so that gives me a few years to get to that level!:d

Karen

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum Karen, good luck with the races this year. I've only been running for around a year and have run one half marathon and have another lined up for next weekend. I don't think I'd ever manage a full marathon but, you never know!

It's not that I couldn't do the distance, because as I get fitter the distance comes easier. It's the amount of time I take out of my family time that I worry about. With four young children in the house, I think it's unfair to disappear for 2 hours or more when I really should be spending time with them. I suppose it's easier in the Summer when you can get out when they're in bed, but this time of year is quite a strain at the weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Karen

I am new to this forum too.... Everyone is very helpful so any questions or advice you have I am sure people can help you. I have entered the Race for life in april, its 5k and hopefully i can do it this year with Jo Jo without either of us stopping. I havent thought about a 10k but who knows. Great news about your marathon goal..... its a dream of mine to do it but i think the 10 k is just as much of an achievement at the mo!! ha ha:d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Welcome to the forum karen.

Why don't you choose a 10 k race that is about 3 months away enter it and use it as your motivation to run more regularly .

There are a myriad of free training programmes to follow when you do

The mere fact that you've joined the runners forum and posted proves you want to do it

Same goes for the marathon but do a half first

good luck with the training

take it easy

Cheriton;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your very welcoming replies. It's always a wee bit scary joining a new forum (still a bit shy at the ripe old age of 35 :embarrassed: ).
I actually did the Race for Life last year but thats all so far. I was quite pleased to get round in 31min;31 seconds and my medal is still hanging proudly for inspiration! I can normally run/walk up to 6miles in one session so I am also signed up for the Sport Relief Mile in Edinburgh (but I am doing the six miles :eek: ).

I'm just trying to concentrate on getting into a good weekly routine and building up distance over time. I also find that I want to get out and run but finding the time is sometimes difficult so I must make much more effort in that department. Any advice from other runners is always welcome.

Signing off now as time to leave for my other obsession- footie- watching not playing. I'm too much of a girly for that :d.

K

·
Registered
664 Posts
Karen,

Thought about the Great Edinburgh Run on 4th May (maybe a bit soon ?). Bit hilly but I like the route. It's where I started 2 years ago, back for my third go this year. Good luck at M'well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the greetings from Grant and Calton1954. :) . The "good luck" from Calton1954 was especially appreciated since it obviously worked!

I probably will give the Great Edinburgh Run a shot- I will see how I feel in a few weeks though as I don't think it closes for a wee while yet. Will need to try and figure some hills into my training first though- eek!

Time for a wee celebratory drink(;) but just one I think as I hope to brave the wind and rain in the morning for a slow and steady 4 miles.

Cheers Guys

K

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
calton1954 said:
Hey, Karen, if I wished you luck today, I wish you it ten times over on Wednesday ;)
I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for wednesday already. :d

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grant said:
I'm hoping for an away win on Wednesday!

Good result yesterday, though, Motherwell seem to have been playing reasonably well recently.
I suspect your wish may be granted, Grant. Not holding out much hope here but stranger things have happened :eek: . The windy conditions at Fir Park yesterday didn't really make for a great game and we were maybe a wee bit lucky but I'll take the three points anyway, in fact I would have taken a draw before kick-off:d

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
JamboKaren said:
The windy conditions at Fir Park yesterday didn't really make for a great game and we were maybe a wee bit lucky but I'll take the three points anyway, in fact I would have taken a draw before kick-off:d
Thats the first time I've heard of anyone going to Fir Park and complain about something other than the pitch!:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grant said:
Thats the first time I've heard of anyone going to Fir Park and complain about something other than the pitch!:eek:
I goes without saying- the pitch was a mess! Apart from the tiny shiny new bit on the right hand side which was perfect :confused:. I'm not gonna even mention the slope.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts