Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - just joined and was wondering if anyone had any advice on pain I've been getting in my inner calf muscle. Not sure if it is shin splints as not exactly on my shin - its more to the inner side of my shin just up from my ankle. The pain is not there all the time only when I run and it dosen't cause me to stop, I'm just conscious of it there. I just did my first 10K on sunday and went out and did 4 miles tonight. I have just bought a new pair of stability running shoes so hope these should help. I was considering doing a 5 mile fell race on saturday - do you think it is too soon after just doing a 10K? Should I be resting with this sort of pain?
Thanks again, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Pophs

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Pophs,
Can't give any advice on your pains but thought I would welcome you to the forum anyway :)

I guess you have had these pains before you got your new shoes?

O.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi

Hmm - I get something very similar, but not all the time which is encouraging! I think it really depends on your warm-up/warm-down. This is very helpful from Runners World -http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286-289-12604-0,00.html

I would take a couple of days off until when you start to run it doesnt start hurting straight away. Also I find taking Ibuprofen if it hasnt gone completely helps (just before the race).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi
Thanks for your reply - I'm not very good at remembering to warm up/down - its normally a case of grabbing time to run when I can (I have three young kids!) so I will try and spend more time warming up as I know it is v important. I've tried to access the article you mentioned but no luck - do you have to be a runners world subscriber?
Thanks
Sophie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweaty betty,
hi again, managed to access article now, must have typed wrong numbers or something - its good advice, shall be following it - think i'll give race this weekend a miss, legs still sore today, I'll be dusting cobwebs off my bike tomorrow!
Thanks
Sophie

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I'll be dusting cobwebs off my bike tomorrow!
Ooooo noooo! I couldn't cycle - I have only ever had bad cramp after cycling - although apparently it uses a completely different set of calf muscles to running. Just take it easy!

Glad the advice was useful (at last!!) I do spend a lot more time warming up/down these days (its boring - but its one of those you regret not doing!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there - just joined and was wondering if anyone had any advice on pain I've been getting in my inner calf muscle. Not sure if it is shin splints as not exactly on my shin - its more to the inner side of my shin just up from my ankle. The pain is not there all the time only when I run and it dosen't cause me to stop, I'm just conscious of it there. I just did my first 10K on sunday and went out and did 4 miles tonight. I have just bought a new pair of stability running shoes so hope these should help. I was considering doing a 5 mile fell race on saturday - do you think it is too soon after just doing a 10K? Should I be resting with this sort of pain?
Thanks again, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Pophs
Hi there,

I've been experiencing the same thing - also getting pain in my hip both during and after a run. I went to see a podiatrist and got lots of useful specific advice - would recommend a visit. Mine is related to technique and can hopeful be resolved with different shoes and insoles. Also gave me a stretching programme. Cost me £45 for the visit but well worth it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts