Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright there my name is Anth, I became very passionate about running during my time in the army I was pretty good at 10k but feel I have never reached my potential. I now have the runners buzz and am dying to get back to competitive racing.
The thing is I wanna try a range of distances like 5k, 12 miler, marathon and 1500 metres. I just wanna know if anyone knows how I would train for them all next to eachother? I mean plenty of athletes compete at a range of races in a short space of time. I was wondering if any1 has advice for multiple races? Maybe some1 who does it?
Much appreciated, Anth. :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Racing so many varying distances will ultimately mean you compromise your potential peak in each one... but it's not too hard to race them all, Just make sure you have your long runs to build your endurance for the marathon and throw in speedwork for your shorter distances.

Ultimately, if you can run a marathon, you can run a 5k, 1500m etc... but not as quickly as if you focused purely on the shorter distances :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
richardsimkiss said:
Racing so many varying distances will ultimately mean you compromise your potential peak in each one... but it's not too hard to race them all, Just make sure you have your long runs to build your endurance for the marathon and throw in speedwork for your shorter distances.

Ultimately, if you can run a marathon, you can run a 5k, 1500m etc... but not as quickly as if you focused purely on the shorter distances :)

Cheers bud. So you have any ideas on training sessions for such a thing? I still have a chance on winning my preffered 10 k though???

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Winning an event is no easy task at all! And ultimately depends on your potential as a runner, only time will tell really on that one. Really though I'd suggest you decide what's most important for you, running the best 10k you can (and managing to 'get round' a marathon in no specific time), or being able to run all distances reasonably well... or focusing on the marathon (as it requires the most training) and be happy that you can run a reasonable 10k?

Possibly look at half marathon training shedules but plan to build your long runs up to 20-22miles if planning to do a marathon. Or Alternatively, use a Marathon Training shedule and change some of the runs to focus more on speed?

If you search google for training plans, i'ms ure you'll find plenty that you can have a look at and decide which looks best for you :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts