Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am - a virgin runner !! I decided as many people do, that its a new year and time for a new start!!

To show my determinaion and to have a target to reach I, along with many of the lovely people I work with, have entered the Plymouth Half Marathon! It's a long shot, but as long as I complete it, on the same day I start it, I'll be happy!!!!

Been out pounding the streets walking / jogging and bonding with my trainers about half a dozen times now - it's hard work for a girlie who has a sit down job, but persevere I will!

Just want to say hello to anyone who is in the same boat, and perhaps appreciate what I'm going through!

Any helpful hints and tips would be much appreciated.... !!

H x

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
hey :) I'm a relative newbie here, too. I used to run quite a lot and wanted to get back in to the swing of things, thought being around like minded people - if only by proxy - would help me out! Do persevere, it's all worth it, I only ran my first real event in October and it was such a buzz! Hopefully the endorphins are keeping you motivated! :) Best of luck with all your running...
Ed

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hello littlemissporter Welcome to the forum, you will get loads of great advice here aswell as friendly banter.

I did my first 1/2 marathon last year, and on most of my long runs was wondering why the hell I was doing it, I did have some real demons to overcome, but come race day I had the best time thoroughly enjoyed the day, the buzz afterwards was great.

The other great thing you are doing is running with others as you will all support each other, especially at times when your finding it hard.

You will have runs where you find it harder than others but just dig in because at the end you will be pleased with your effort.

Best of luck and try and enjoy it as much as possible, you will be amazed how quickly your fitness improves.

Twinks :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good evening Littlemissporter !

I too ran my 1st half marathon last year after deciding to start running rather like yourself, it was one of the most rewarding things I have done. Like others have said, you will get plenty of great advice from the more 'seasoned' :p runners on this forum.

Keep up the good work and I'm sure the bug will bite you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am pleased to see another runner however new.
Keep up the good work.
It does seem hard at first but run and walk as you feel and you will soon be able to run more.
Don't run too fast to start with there is no shame in running slow or even walking.
You will get fitter very quickly

I have been running all my life and a memebr of a running club for 20 years and have made some very good friends while running.

I also been coaching a lady for the past 8 months and she has improved from 9.30 min miles to 7.30 min miles in that time. So it can be done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, so many positive and encouraging messages - thank you all!

I have been out three times in the last week (since my first attempt round Burrator Reservoir last Sunday) I thought I was going to die that first day and stopped so many times!

However, I'm pleased to say I managed the reservoir this Sunday (3.9 miles) without stopping! Okay so it was more of a plod than a run but it was more than a walk - and I did it! It felt very good!

The Plymouth Half - which is my target (!!) - is at the end of May - and I am determined!

Brooks Running organise a "first sunday of the month meeting" at Burrator and I am looking forward to the February session which will hopefully show much improvement from my January debut!

My mad springer spaniel is also benefiting from the extra outings!!

Thanks again everyone. H x

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
littlemissporter said:
The Plymouth Half - which is my target (!!) - is at the end of May - and I am determined!
You have plenty of time then to get yourself fit for this race.
Don't push yourself too hard or do too many miles too soon...that's the way to pick up an injury.
Increase mileage by 10% max per week and if you can try to do a couple of 12 mile runs before the race.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
hello i have also taken the plunge and entered the Plymouth half marathon! I have never ran before and signed up on the 5th Dec. Since then i have been out every other night .At first i could only run for about a minute before needing to walk!! I have also been round Burrator a few times. I couldn't manage the Brooks meet in January but hope to be there for the Feb one. I am still running/walking a yesterday i did the Saltram part of the course 6 miles in 1hour 25!!.Its hard work but i am enjoying it, i think!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Gosh such a big influx of Plymouthians -I hope you have all been and got yourself kitted out with proper running shoes. As part of your training programme I'd look to do a 10K as its a natural progression - there is the Mad March Hare 10k on the 18 March - starts at Valley Road. Have a look on the Tamar Trotters website for the entry form:
www.tamartrotters.co.uk.

Good luck and I'll see you at the Plymouth Half as its my first time too I'll be bringing up the rear. I'm currently training for the Plymouth Hoe 10 next month - its really hard going but rewarding never thought I would run this far after picking up quite a few injuries. I just hope I make it back for prize giving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts