Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Just joined this forum as I just picked up running again and could do with some advice and always enjoy reading everyone elses questions and answers.

I have enjoyed running on and off over the years. I say running it is not fast running mor of a slow jog really. I have been doing 6 miles in an hour 4-5 days a week now for the last five weeks and am certainly loosing weight.

I have never been a fast runner and just enjoy slow jogging at my own slow pace :) and when feeling a little more energetic pick up my pace a bit.

My question is should I be trying to cover the miles at a faster pace or is it better to cover more miles at a slower pace.

I started running again to help with weight loss as want to loose about two stone. I have lost just over a stone since the begining of January but am wanting to get the most out of running to help speed up with the weight loss.

I also go to the gym a few times a week but end up doing mainly cardio but know that I need to start concentrating on weights as well to tone up.

Any advice most welcome :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hi

welcome to the forum :)

I would take it slowly... build up mileage and speed very gradually. The basic rule is distance first, speed later.

Also, weight training will hinder your weight loss efforts. I suggest that you focus on cardio training for now until you are happy with your weight

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Joanne598 said:
Hello all
Just joined this forum as I just picked up running again and could do with some advice and always enjoy reading everyone elses questions and answers.

I have enjoyed running on and off over the years. I say running it is not fast running mor of a slow jog really. I have been doing 6 miles in an hour 4-5 days a week now for the last five weeks and am certainly loosing weight.

I have never been a fast runner and just enjoy slow jogging at my own slow pace :) and when feeling a little more energetic pick up my pace a bit.

My question is should I be trying to cover the miles at a faster pace or is it better to cover more miles at a slower pace.

I started running again to help with weight loss as want to loose about two stone. I have lost just over a stone since the begining of January but am wanting to get the most out of running to help speed up with the weight loss.

I also go to the gym a few times a week but end up doing mainly cardio but know that I need to start concentrating on weights as well to tone up.

Any advice most welcome :d
Hi joanne,
The lighter runs are god for weight management and improves your endurance .

What is your particular reason for wanting to run the longer distance?

It won't neccessarily make you lose more weight but there is nothing wrong with making your runs more challenging for example why don't you try cutting the distance but run harder ,or try some fartlek run hard for say 30 seconds then jog for 30sec and repeat this for as much as you can do

Swimming is also good for toning and it gives your mucles a low impact workout.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR WEIGHT LOSS !

Take it easy
Cheriton;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Cheriton

I thought that if I ran further it would speed my weight loss up. Is that not the case?
Should I be running maybe shorter distances but faster for that?

I am a little confused haha!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Joanne598 said:
Hi Cheriton

I thought that if I ran further it would speed my weight loss up. Is that not the case?
Should I be running maybe shorter distances but faster for that?

I am a little confused haha!
Diet combined with exercise you should try upping the intensity of your running, You may add a little weight at first but what you should notice is a change in your shape

You need to watch your diet if you're prone to putting on weight but remember that if you do decide to increase the amount of exercise especially if you decide to run harder for longer that you are adequately fuelled

Do'n't try to lose too much weight too soon gradual is best but then i'm guessing that you know that already!!

After all said and done i don't know how much you weigh,how much you want to lose or even if you need to lose any weight at all.

But i wish you luck with it !

take it easy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts