Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from being the latest member I wouldn't mind betting I'm the oldest person to join this forum, so I'm here for inspiration and motivation in my dotage!
I've been running since I was 54 but made up for lost time with some pretty good race times for an old geriatric. Now, as a long-in-the-tooth-coming-up-MV75, I'm finding it a bit difficult to pull on the old shoes and get out and train. So any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wow! you say you are on the forum for inspiration....You have given me inspiration....I hope I'm still running when I am 70...Welcome to the forum it is great and full of people who give excellent advice, support and encouragement:)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nellie said:
Welcome to the forum it is great and full of people who give excellent advice, support and encouragement:)
Just what I need! The new training blog might be useful too (once I get started). I hate to see too many blank spaces. In fact, I'll get out now while the sun shines!
Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome!
So what made you start at 54?
It's great to have someone older as a forumite....you just go to prove that keeping fit is beneficial. Good on you!

Do you belong to a local club? If not I'm sure there must be one near you who'd help keep you motivated.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve said:
Welcome!
So what made you start at 54?
Do you belong to a local club? If not I'm sure there must be one near you who'd help keep you motivated.
I'd been out of work for years and got really overweight, eating junk food and generally out of shape - so I started jogging. I lost exactly one stone in one month and soon found I could jog rather fast!
Yes, I do belong to a club (read my profile) but, not having a car, I don't train with them very often because it's a difficult place to get to, and I hate imposing upon people. 90% of my training is done alone.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Got carried away and forgot to look up your profile!
I wish I could get close to your pbs! Fat chance.
My motivation is a bit low at the moment and I think it's due to not having had my normal break from running in the summer. Could it be that you've been overdoing it Runningfox?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
admin said:
Do you do a lot of fell running then Runningfox? I hear that is great for building strengh and speed.
Most of my training has been on fells and trails around the Yorkshire Dales. Even when I was training for marathons I only ran roads for preliminary races - 10K's for sharpening and maybe a 'cruise' type race up to 14 miles before the event. Believe me, when I came down from the fells onto the roads, I was flying.
I love the fells. It's what keeps me running. Last week I did a wonderful 10 mile circuit of the Dodds from Dockray, near Ullswater in the Lake District. On two other days we ran a Lakeland route combining Fusedale and Martindale, in glorious weather with rutting stags roaring in the valley below. Magic!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Last week I did a wonderful 10 mile circuit of the Dodds from Dockray, near Ullswater in the Lake District. On two other days we ran a Lakeland route combining Fusedale and Martindale, in glorious weather with rutting stags roaring in the valley below. Magic![/QUOTE]

That's it I've had enough!
Dan.... I think we need to bar Runningfox from the forum!:d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve said:
Just kidding....but only just!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's one good thing about being retired Steve - you've all the time in the world to visit and run in all the wonderful places you fancy, Dales, Lakes, Scotland, Switzerland, or wherever.. What's even better, in my case, is my partner thinks exactly the same! :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I can't wait though I shouldn't wish my life away!

I did the Keswick 1/2m May and that was good for the scenery.Was all road though.
My other half runs too...or rather she did until just after the Keswick race when she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. She still comes out to support though.

I'm thinking of doing the Davos Marathon in Switzerland...you'd like that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Davos is beautiful - although I only know it from its winter scenery, as my family go skiing there each year. Those Swiss mountain men are not to be trifled with though if you're comtemplating a marathon there.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve said:
I can't wait though I shouldn't wish my life away!

I did the Keswick 1/2m May and that was good for the scenery.Was all road though.
My other half runs too...or rather she did until just after the Keswick race when she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. She still comes out to support though.
I'm thinking of doing the Davos Marathon in Switzerland...you'd like that.
Sorry to hear of your other half's complaint. My partner and I have much to be thanful for healthwise - and we have 135 years between us!
After we'd entered the Guy Fawkes (November 5th) we found out the Derwentwater '10' is on the same day. I wish we'd gone for that and spent the weekend in the Lakes.
Maybe I'd like Davos, but nowadays I restrict my racing distance to a maximum of ten miles.
We were in Switzerland for the World Masters Mountain Running Championships. The course was a mockery - clarty vineyards, tarmac, back gardens, steep woodland with no views - and finishing on an athletics track! But my partner (who isn't really interested in racing) finished first Brit in her category - making me green with envy! I could only manage 2nd Brit. Needless to say we were both soundly beaten by the flying Germans, Swiss and Italians.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Karen said:
Davos is beautiful - although I only know it from its winter scenery, as my family go skiing there each year. Those Swiss mountain men are not to be trifled with though if you're comtemplating a marathon there.
It is great in summer too...was one part of our honeymoon destination.

The Davos Trail week takes place in July every year and ends with 3 different races...from memory a 21k, a 42k and a 78k. The first is just about all downhill but the others involves major climbs....I think you need to be a mountain goat to do them! The plan was to go there and do the 42k together as part of our 10th anniversary celebrations. Got to do it on my own now.:eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Runningfox said:
Sorry to hear of your other half's complaint.
But my partner (who isn't really interested in racing) finished first Brit in her category - making me green with envy! I could only manage 2nd Brit. Needless to say we were both soundly beaten by the flying Germans, Swiss and Italians.
Cheers!
Thanks.

My other half has won team prizes and spot prizes and her sister has even won a race...mind you she was the only lady to enter!...and what have I won? Diddly squat!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Runningfox,
some similarities, I only started running this January just after my 52nd birthday, and am pleased with my progress so far, continuing to improve. Given my age I did wonder how much I colud improve, but seeing the PBs you managed is going to give me encouragement to put in some good training over the winter to see what I can manage next year.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
calton1954 said:
Runningfox,
some similarities, I only started running this January just after my 52nd birthday, and am pleased with my progress so far, continuing to improve. Given my age I did wonder how much I could improve, but seeing the PBs you managed is going to give me encouragement to put in some good training over the winter to see what I can manage next year. Thanks :)
Hi,
Glad you find my PB's encouraging. Thing was, after the thrill of my first major category win (MV55 in the Pennine Marathon) I hated to lose after that, regardless of the distance. Running became a way of life affecting my diet, sleeping habits and social habits, and training became frenetic. But without doubt it's given me the best twenty years of my life. In fact, it's the only thing I've ever been good at, though it took me a long time to find out!
Notice you live in McGod's country. We spend a lot of time up there, mainly in the western highlands and islands. Wonderful place.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haha, I also started at about that age, being stuck in rural France and needing to exercise a large and bouncy labrador. I am just about getting the courage to enter in my first race EVER. 10M at Hayling island and I was also wondering if nearly 60 is too old for all this ? But what the heck, what's the worst that can happen ? If I keel over I die a happy "girl"
Annie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts