Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all members.

I have started to run and hope in the future to run for charity.

I hope to use the forum for advice, support etc.

Dean:d

·
Registered
62 Posts
Heya dean,

Just though I'd say hi and welcome to the forum and the world of running!! i find running for charities is a huge motivator...if youve convinced people to sponser you then your kind of committed to doing well!! Only works a once or twice a year though..people get fed up if you hound them for donations every time you race!!

Kat

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Dean, welcome to the forum, spend some time having a browse around and feel free to ask away with any questions! We'll do our best to answer anything, or at the very least give you our opinion :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice

Hi and thanks to you both for the advice.

My cousin runs for Charities as his mother (my aunt) died of cancer.
At the same time my aunt died my mother was becoming ill.
2 years later sadly my mum passed away with cancer too.

I do not aim to run for charity this year.
I aim to run because I like it and want to build up my running time so that I am comfortable with it. But who knows I may do better this year than I thought I may be able to. Time will tell.

Any advice for a beginner will always be welcomed.

Dean

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum.

Best advice is to enjoy it and don't take on too much too soon, if you up your mileage the general rule of thumb is 10% each week, this will help to avoid injury.

Most importantly if you have not done so already is get yourself fitted out with a proper pair of running shoes find a local running shop and have a gait anaylsis done and this way you get the right running shoes, this may sound over the top but it will be the best running investment you make.

Good luck

TT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TT

thanks for the advice

I had bought previously a pair of running shoes that were adviced by our local sports shop.
I must admit I have not had the gait anaylsis done.

I will look into this

Dean

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi Dean...welcome to RF!

I agree with all of the above and would suggest too that you join a local running club. Where about in Cambs are you? There are plenty of clubs about the county.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Joining a runing club is probably the best thing I've done since starting to run (that and having gait analysis). It's a great motivator and will help you improve no-end... most clubs cater for all abilities too :d

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard

thanks for your comments.

I may join a club when I am confident with my running abilities.

Also I agree about gait analysis. I hope to organise something soon.

Thanks again

Dean:d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts