Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi WS,
Welcome to the RF.

Can't give you any tips for Sub 40 10k runs but Im sure others on the site will be able to help! Thats a really good time!

O.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome, cool name.

I will be happy to give you sub 40min 10K advice...

...once I get there. In the meantime would you like to give some advice to get me to sub 50 :p . I would even settle for sub 55.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
New to this site and good tips for sub 40 10k times I am currently managing 42 minutes
Welcome to the site. Best tip I can give you (since you currently run 10k in 42 minutes) is to run 20 seconds per mile faster than you currently are (6:26 rather than 6:46) ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Well, as somebody who can run a sub 40 10k, the secret is training, training and training. Run 30+ miles per week, and make sure you do two long runs a week (10-15 miles) Once in a while throw in a 5k speed session.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Water Station... what does your current training load look like?

JBBury does speak sense in that it will most likely just be a case of upping the training a bit - or even just changing what you're already doing a little...

Let us know how you're going at the moment, run lengths, times, and frequencies and I'm sure people will offer their advice ;) If you don;t want to get into detail, just try and get yourself out the door more often, and for longer periods, and push harder - pretty simple advice but it'll work ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
what is it about the 42 minute barrier... that's where I'm stuck as well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, as somebody who can run a sub 40 10k, the secret is training, training and training. Run 30+ miles per week, and make sure you do two long runs a week (10-15 miles) Once in a while throw in a 5k speed session.
Thanks for that advice. That is something I had in mind, to run a few longer runs and to go up from 2 to 3 runs a week. I currently do 8ks at 33/34 mins twice a week. Bit hot out there this morning mind.:push:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome, cool name.

I will be happy to give you sub 40min 10K advice...

...once I get there. In the meantime would you like to give some advice to get me to sub 50 :p . I would even settle for sub 55.
I can only say keep at it and do a few shorter fast runs floowed by sprint /jog runs as well and hopefully your stamina will improve.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is it about the 42 minute barrier... that's where I'm stuck as well
I don't know it is damn frustrating. I did the British 10k in London and was sure to do 40mins as I was bang on 4mins kilometres up to the 7k marker,l I saw the clock at 41:30 as I approached the finished and was gutted. !!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy again Water Station, just a quick observation, if you're running 8k twice a week at the moment, I'm very confident you'll smash the 40min barrier if you were to add another run of around 10miles and ideally a fourth run in the week somewhere (maybe 7miles?). Consistant training is key to improvement - and it sounds like you're fairly talented as it is ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy again Water Station, just a quick observation, if you're running 8k twice a week at the moment, I'm very confident you'll smash the 40min barrier if you were to add another run of around 10miles and ideally a fourth run in the week somewhere (maybe 7miles?). Consistant training is key to improvement - and it sounds like you're fairly talented as it is ;)
HI Thanks for that advice and I will certainly be giving it a go. Am I talented enough?? not sure about that, but I would love to get faster and be amongst the top county runners. I don't belong to a running club so maybe if I did I would get all the advice and training I need !!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Joining a club would do a fantastic amount for your running... I knocked around 3.5mins off my 10k PB (from 40:53 to 37:18) having trained with a club for a little under 6months :)

I say you're talented as you're obviously capable of putting in some pretty good 10k times off minimal training - so inevitably you'll be capable of a lot more. The jump from 40mins to 30mins though may take quite a bit longer ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joining a club would do a fantastic amount for your running... I knocked around 3.5mins off my 10k PB (from 40:53 to 37:18) having trained with a club for a little under 6months :)

I say you're talented as you're obviously capable of putting in some pretty good 10k times off minimal training - so inevitably you'll be capable of a lot more. The jump from 40mins to 30mins though may take quite a bit longer ;)
Richard, I think I will concentrate purely on sub 40 10ks I would die trying to reach 30 mins and would never get there anyhow !! I am quite an independent runner so joining a club may not suit me. Your times are very good, what is your next target 35 mins?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Im quite an independant runner as well but really looking forward to joining my local club. Its free to try out the club so if I don't like it I don't loose anything. Will give them a go anyway as I want to have some expert advice on my running style and hopefully prepare me for 10k runs and improve my 1/2 marathon times.

You never know, you might like it :) Its good to push yourself against others. I reckon you can still be independant in a club as at the end of the day, its your race.

O.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im quite an independant runner as well but really looking forward to joining my local club. Its free to try out the club so if I don't like it I don't loose anything. Will give them a go anyway as I want to have some expert advice on my running style and hopefully prepare me for 10k runs and improve my 1/2 marathon times.

You never know, you might like it :) Its good to push yourself against others. I reckon you can still be independant in a club as at the end of the day, its your race.

O.
I will think about it but as I am close to 40 I will be classed as a veteran next year:( and may not get into a club locally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts