Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
glad to have found a running forum, i took up running at the end of last year after quitting the cigs, i've managed my first 10k in just over 50 minutes and plan on running my second in october, right now i run 9k / 3 times a week and would like help and advice on how to train for a half marathon which i plan on doing some time next year:worried:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hi and welcome.. your best bet is to choose a race and then follow a plan towards it. most of the plans ive seen are based on 12 weeks.

the only thing you need to rember when choosing a plan is to be realistic about your targets.... no point following a sub 1hr:30 plan if your only capable of doing 2hr:30

based on you 10k time though i would have though that 1hr:45 - 2hr:00 would be acheivable

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
best bet for now would be to try and increase the length of one of your runs each week - 'traditional' (or rather common practice) training methods include speedwork, strength work, endurance work, and recovery runs. If you're looking to build up to a half marathon then endurance will be the key attribute to work on - maybe add a mile each week/fortnight to your longest run and build it up to say 10 miles, then look to find a decent half marathon scedule?

Don't worry if you decide you want to try something else though, running is a very personal thing and there's no set training method that will definately give you the best results!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF...and I agree with what has been said already.

Also though find a running club to join...great to help your motivation

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Danny.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi and welcome.. your best bet is to choose a race and then follow a plan towards it. most of the plans ive seen are based on 12 weeks.

the only thing you need to rember when choosing a plan is to be realistic about your targets.... no point following a sub 1hr:30 plan if your only capable of doing 2hr:30

based on you 10k time though i would have though that 1hr:45 - 2hr:00 would be acheivable
i was hopeing i could do it in under 2 hrs

best bet for now would be to try and increase the length of one of your runs each week - 'traditional' (or rather common practice) training methods include speedwork, strength work, endurance work, and recovery runs. If you're looking to build up to a half marathon then endurance will be the key attribute to work on - maybe add a mile each week/fortnight to your longest run and build it up to say 10 miles, then look to find a decent half marathon scedule?

Don't worry if you decide you want to try something else though, running is a very personal thing and there's no set training method that will definately give you the best results!
i was thinking of adding 5-10 minutes on to my friday run every week

Welcome to RF...and I agree with what has been said already.

Also though find a running club to join...great to help your motivation
a few groups run past me every week when im running in EK, i might look into that

Welcome Danny.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Good luck.
cheers

Welcome to the forum Danny :)

Which 10k are you doing in October?
strathclyde park, end of october

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Hi Doulsy, welcome to the forum. Well done on your result in the 10km.

I run with the Hamilton Harriers, we train in Bothwell, which is only a few minutes drive from you in EK. We're a pretty friendly bunch, so feel free to join us.

Also, I think there are a couple of folk here on RF doing the 10km in October in Strathclyde Park. It's a pretty good race and mostly flat course.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Doulsy, welcome to the forum. Well done on your result in the 10km.

I run with the Hamilton Harriers, we train in Bothwell, which is only a few minutes drive from you in EK. We're a pretty friendly bunch, so feel free to join us.

Also, I think there are a couple of folk here on RF doing the 10km in October in Strathclyde Park. It's a pretty good race and mostly flat course.
yeah flat courses are nice:d im not from ek im from castlemilk, i prefer to run up there rather than in a housing scheme as no one bothers you, i run the ek 10k course 3 times a week, except i miss out running up to the sports centre, would like to join a club though but i don't get home from work untill 6:30:( i reckon bothwell's about 20 minutes away

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Can't blame you ther I wouldn't go running in Castlemilk either!! Went there once for work not the nicest place I've ever been!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
yeah flat courses are nice:d im not from ek im from castlemilk, i prefer to run up there rather than in a housing scheme as no one bothers you, i run the ek 10k course 3 times a week, except i miss out running up to the sports centre, would like to join a club though but i don't get home from work untill 6:30:( i reckon bothwell's about 20 minutes away

Sorry, thought you were from EK. I've done the 10km the past three years as well, but I seem to get a worse time every year!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't blame you ther I wouldn't go running in Castlemilk either!! Went there once for work not the nicest place I've ever been!
the scheme is quite nice now, the bit i live at is full A/holes, watched a few throwing stones at guys doing a cross country one year:mad:

planned on running a bit further tonight, never had it in me though, im a bit disapointed with myself:|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts