Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As blood sugar (glucose) levels increase, the pancreas releases insulin to move the glucose from the blood into the tissue where it is used as energy or stored as glycogen. It is important to note insulin also inhibits fat metabolism and protein breakdown.

Foods with a high glycemic index are often accompanied by a spike of insulin. The excessive insulin pulls too much glucose from the blood causing fatigue, hunger, and usually additional sugar cravings. This cycle continues throughout the day impeding the use of fats as a fuel and ultimately leading to weight gain. This does not mean all high GI carbohydrates are bad and should be avoided.

High glycemic index foods are very beneficial when consumed immediately prior to, during, and following exercise. During exercise, glycogen is broken down into glucose and released into the blood where it is carried to the working muscles to be used as energy. When an athlete eats a high GI food prior to or during exercise, the absorbed glucose is used as an immediate energy source to fuel the working muscles.

Another benefit of consuming carbohydrates during exercise is to spare the use of stored carbohydrate (glycogen), allowing an individual to exercise longer without the risk of depleting glycogen stores.

Following exercise, high glycemic carbohydrates are recommended for quickly replenishing glycogen stores. Upon cessation of exercise there is a 45 minute window in which the body's capacity to replenish glycogen stores is greatest.

After this optimal window, replenishing glycogen stores will take longer and may not be entirely complete by the next exercise bout which could hinder performance. Not having glycogen stores at full capacity could hinder performance during subsequent training or competition.

TOrunner

·
Registered
835 Posts
TOrunner said:

Another benefit of consuming carbohydrates during exercise is to spare the use of stored carbohydrate (glycogen), .......

TOrunner
I find it difficult enough taking fluid on while running, let alone a plate of spaghetti!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lol, I don't think anyone actually EATS anything more substatial than maybe a granola bar or something during a run. Apart from me. I take marmalade sarnies ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I have to be honest... I read this thread the other day and my only thought was
"And....."

Decent information, but no different or more informative to what's already available on the web?!
I'm very sorry, but I didn't manage to read all of the thread. I tend to just "switch off" when running subjects start to become over-intellectualized. Running is just so simple an act. Why does it have to be cluttered and complicated all the time? :embarrassed:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts