Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here wear high viz when running?

I have always worn one when cycling but never give it a thought about when running. As I run early morning around the local highways and byways; can’t go in the park next door to where I live ‘cause it doesn’t open its gates until 7:30 am, I have been wearing one of my cycle high viz vests. Today picked up a bargain in JJB, a high viz gillet for £8.09 (this included my 10% JJB member’s discount).

Lookout world now you can see me coming:d

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
It is essential that runners wear these jerkins in winter and at night. However you don't need to spend £8 on one. Go to High visibility clothing, fluorescent high visibility jackets & safety clothes. and you can get a vest for just over a quid and you could try a hi-viz polo shirt if you wish.

Also for car owners amongst you it is a good idea to buy a warm hi-viz jacket for the boot and a jerkin for quick access. They are a life saver if you break down on the motorway.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have hi viz arm bands when running at night. :worried:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
ummm what an error your right they are wing bands

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't have any hi-vis stuff. Some of my running tops have reflective bits on them but for the most part I just run in reasonably well lit areas and pay attention to what's going on around me. :huh:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just run in reasonably well lit areas and pay attention to what's going on around me. :huh:
It’s unfortunate that no matter how vigilant you are there is always the risk of being injured by the inattentive driver or the cyclist riding on the path. I think that high vis gear stacks the odds a little more in my favour. It’s not just to wear at night I wear it on all runs as I do my high viz vest when cycling.

As for being aware of what’s going on around me; my username “zanshin” is a martial arts term for awareness something I am very good at:p

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree with you Zanshin. I always wear a high-viz top whatever the time of day and whatever the weather - I run on winding, narrow country roads with no pavements so I just want to reduce the chance of ending up as road-kill.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I know what you mean... I should really do everything in my power to reduce the risk - ultimately no matter what you do you can;t prevent the berk who comes round a corner too fast and loses control :mad:

It'll probably strike a nerve withe some, but I can imagine there being a fair few people who go out with hi-vis vests yet plug in their mp3 players to get into the zone of just having them and their music - I much prefer my chances whilst being fully aware of my surroundings and dressed in black :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
That will be the Ninja inside you trying to get out RS :) Ive got an image in my head of you running around outside, all zoned up and a car comes screaming around the corner, doesnt see you because your dress in black and you just do a matrix style slow mo backflip jump up over the top of the car, shaking your finger at the driver as you then land behind the car and continue running :d

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Something like that Owain :lol:

In fact a few times I've had to jump out the way of cars, most times have been when I was living with my parents and all I ran was country roads, this was in broad daylight of course but because the roads were so quiet people would juts drive them like absolute [email protected] closest call was a woman driving a Mercedes GL... one of the 4x4 on-roaders, she came screaming round the corner, spotted me and hit the brakes hard- ABS kicked in and I was diving for the roadside ditch... eek!

Recently I've been getting p!ssed off with people simply not knowing how to indicate. Came to a roundabout, nothing coming except a people carrier from behind that was driving fairly slowly and indicating to turn right at the RB... obviously the woman changed her mind and needed to turn left - obviously this was my fault, and despite having virtually crossed the road entirely I deserved to be beeped at. I think she was a little surprised as I turned around at the 'B' of beep and started shaking my fist and hurling abuse - almost as if I'd expected it! lol.

I am the Matrix :cool:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Excellent point about indicating Richard. It is annoying when your driving and they don't indicate but it is genuinly dangerous when your running and they don't bother. It often happens, they turn into a junction and get annoyed if your crossing at the same time.

Also good point about the MP3 players Richard. We have to be just as aware and cannot just shut away from the traffic and expect drivers to react! That's why I use just one earpiece.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I really think drivers should be educated more about other road users. They often seem to think that they're the only ones with any rights! I think the majority of drivers probably don't use the road for anything other than driving cars, they don't appreciate the vulnerability of runners, cyclists, horse riders etc ....... I've had a few near misses when running and riding along roads ..... me and my horse ended up in a hedge once because of a lunatic driver ..... its just not funny! I am a car driver too by the way.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I ran over a child today, literally.

Little scrote ran right in front of me then turned into me as I was running through town. In trying not to fall over I pushed him to the ground.

I didn't bother stopping as I had not had time to pause the sportband so of I went. I hope it hurt him. Will teach him not to mess around in the street. I could have been in a car.

No amount of high viz could have prevented it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This brings up a question I was going to ask on a new thread but it seems appropriate to go here:

When running on country roads with no pavements do you run with the traffic or against it ?

I run against it so that I can see what is coming and take evasive action (diving into hedge etc) if it doesn't look like the driver is going to cater for me. I think this is preferable to running with the traffic and not really being aware of what drivers coming up behind you are doing.

I also acknowledge all drivers that pass me safely.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts