Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a great place to run but it has its little hills and those v.long steady hills so i cant ignore them really when i go for a run. Im enjoying trying them out on my runs, but would like some advice on how to tackle them. At present i try to not use my arms downhill but let my legs do the work on there own, up hill, try to move up on the balls of my feet and use the lower part of my legs and use my arms. I feel so new to this so any advice is welcome hayley

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Going up hills keep your steps short with your feet landing under the centre of gravity. I use a chi technique for running up hills which I find really effective. It also relies on using your arms to pull you up - it looks a bit odd like you are trying to punch yourself on your chin and its important to keep your shoulders down. Going up hills can take it out of you so you may need to adjust your pacing to compensate.

Some people say keep your eyes on the horizon others say its best to focus on a spot in front of you so you don't get put off by how far your have to go.

Coming down hills you can stride out a bit but watch those knees and quads.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.k thanks for that, one week away from my 10k so ill try my best up till then.
Iv been lucky in the injury department, havent had anything really apart from a few weeks ago a pain after about 3miles in my bum of all places, that stopped me running. Iv since been stretching more and its got better now but i do get twinges now and then. I dont know if it was my hip or pirifomis.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Pain in your bum quite common especially amongst us women - a small muscle in your backside called the piriformis can get a bit tight. It normal during the last week before your race to cut back on training a little bit to save energy for actual race day and also reduce the risk of injury as well - there is nothing worse than training really hard for a race and then picking up an injury at the last minute.

I'm doing my second half next but I'm not as fast as you - good luck.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck to you too, my other half has had alot of physio in the past so now he practices all his bending and stretching on me, but it seems to be working, plus he trys too find time to do this to me on non running days too.H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts