Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wonder how people tend to handle steep hills on 6 miles + runs? Do you tend to power up the hills and recover on the (hopefully) flat at the top or do you pace it?

I tend to power up and rocover at the top i find it difficult to pace up long steep hills makes it feel harder! Is there a correct technique for hills?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not sure what the correct technique is but I tend to shorten my stride, head down and away we go, certainly don't power up them - I wish.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
if it's during a normal run then the best policy to adopt is to just try and maintain an even percieved effort. Also try and keep your cadence (footsrikes per min) up, this will typically involve shortening the stride. long strides will probably knacker you out as they require a lot of strong work from the muscles.

If you're actively trying to run a hard hill session of course that changes completely... and I'd run hard up the hills and recover on the way to the next (or jogging back down depending on if you're using one or many hills).

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Granty said:
Not sure what the correct technique is but I tend to shorten my stride, head down and away we go, certainly don't power up them - I wish.

Always bring head up when running up hill. If you have your head down...even slightly, it tightens up your airway and you need your airway to be open as much as possible when running, especially up hill.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hrun said:
Turn round and find a flatter route :embarrassed:
Now that sounds like a interesting way Hrun may try although where i live think i'd just end up running in small circles chasing my own tail (If i had on)! :p

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
junkie_ball said:
Now that sounds like a interesting way Hrun may try although where i live think i'd just end up running in small circles chasing my own tail (If i had on)! :p
This is why at home I still use the treadmill. Hills in every direction and I am not ready.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrun said:
This is why at home I still use the treadmill. Hills in every direction and I am not ready.
LOL! Just watch out you don't hit that incline button then! :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
junkie_ball said:
LOL! Just watch out you don't hit that incline button then! :d
Don't. I tried 5.5 mph run during the 30 min warm up walk on an incline and as a result I gave up the run after 20 mins due to ankle pain. I still have a couple of stone to lose before I am near my ideal weight. Once I get there there are no excuses.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrun said:
Don't. I tried 5.5 mph run during the 30 min warm up walk on an incline and as a result I gave up the run after 20 mins due to ankle pain. I still have a couple of stone to lose before I am near my ideal weight. Once I get there there are no excuses.
Just keep pluggin your get there! When i started running on a tread mill about 4 years ago i struggled to even jog for more than 5 mins weighed around 16.5 stones now i happily do 2/3 6 miles runs a week and try to get in a 10+ miles once a week and now wiegh 12 stone!:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts