Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone shed any light on why i seem to find it esier to maintain a decent tempo when going up a hill than when on the flat? surely that shouldn't be the case. are some body types or running styles better suited to hills than others?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I know some people who say the same thing. I think it might be that on the hill you tend to focus more to maintain a good pace, whereas on the flat it is easier to switch off and let the pace drop quite a lot. That's the only explanation I have because running up hills is far more difficult than running a flat so it would make no sense to be faster up hills. I do think it is all about the psychology of it all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
can anyone shed any light on why i seem to find it esier to maintain a decent tempo when going up a hill than when on the flat? surely that shouldn't be the case. are some body types or running styles better suited to hills than others?
Can't offer much advice but am hoping I find the same when I move to Bath next month - I'm gonna be living on the steepest hill I've ever seen ha!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
What are you measuring your tempo with?
a stick ;)

I think I understand what you're saying, and I'd imagine it's because whilst running hills it is much easier to monitor your pace...

When you're running on the flat, if you drop the pace a little, you won't really feel it much. If you drop the pace whilst running uphill, you'll soon feel that you're running a lot slower and the load on the muscles changes noticeably.

That's my little theory anyhow ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to be honest i'm just going by how i feel, none of your fancy garmin stuff for this lad.

however, as unscientific as this is, i definitely feel that i enjoy the uphill stuff a bit more than the flat. where i run it is pretty hilly so on my regular runs i tackle quite few uphill sections and for some reason i always feel stronger on these. i'm sure its all down to psychology but i was just puzzled by it.

thanks for the feedback as always

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sorry, reason I was asking was I started with a Nike footpod and thought I powered up the hills as the pace stayed reasonably constant. When I got the garmin I ran with both and whilst the Nike stayed at 8.30 /ml the garmin showed I dropped to 11 /ml.

I deduced the reason was I shortened my stride and the footpod calculated this as a speed increase due to the increased cadence. Also the garmin may think I am going slower than I am as it won't measure the upward element very well.

So I was wondering if this may have been the reason for your improved hill work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts