Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys am quite new to this site but would love your advice if this seems relevant to anyone. Have never been particularly fast runner but managed to make my distance up to 4 miles a day recently and all was going really well until one day had a pain on my left hand side from hip basically to mid buttock! How attractive!!! Four weeks later and several trips to a nonplussed physio later am slightly better having changed my shoes but still totally confused as to the speed of injury and rate of improvement. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance!:)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
HI SARA, I had a similar problem hip to buttock pain, had gait analysis,changed my shoes and this has cured the problem.

Curious to know what kind of gait you have and what kind of shoes you were running in ?

I eased right off on the training as it was naturally quite painful to run.I took about 3/4 days off then started again with the new shoes .

My long runs are up to about 11/12 miles and i have had no reactions or problems since.

It would also be interesting to know how quickly you built up to 4 miles a day

Are you running that everyday and on what surfaces.

I hope that some of this info will help

sorry about all the questions! but knowledge is a wonderful thing.

take it easy!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooh so glad i'm not alone!!!

Firstly, don't apologize for questions as I've tried to think about this all for so long and value your opinions. Haven't had my gait tested but read on runners world website that 99.9% of women are overpronators, so presumed getting specific shoes(Brooks Addiction) would help!
However, prior to all this was wearing Reebok Pump(anything Dame Kelly endorses etc!!) but found were great for first couple of miles, then had pressurized that much my feet were tingling and am wondering if I was unconsciously running awkwardly? Had been doing 3 miles a day for a while quite comfortably and gradually increased my distance by 1/4 miles each week and sustained this for a couple of weeks then BAM!!! NO MORE RUNNING!!! Suspect not enough rest days (addictive personality!!!) Sound familiar? Could you tell me your views on rest days/ training ratio? Many thanks.;)
PS I'm a treadmill girl!! No incline as have had achilles problems. I'm on an injury roll!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I suffered from the same problem and found that running downhill made it worse, I discovered through talking to other runners and through the internet that it is to do with your piriformis muscle. There is a website called sports injury clinic which shows you where the muscle is in your butt!. I used the stretching exercises on this site twice a day before I went for a run, and now have no problems with it.

Hope this helps
Jo

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Definately get your gait tested !!I wonder how many women they surveyed, it could be that you are in that .1% who aren't overpronators. The achilles problem may also be due to the wrong shoes ,as the kind of problems we are talking about tend to start low down and then work their way up to your hip then back and even your neck.
You've answered some of this question youself with regard to rest days .Whilst there are always exceptions to the rule rest days or easy days/weeks are a good thing,as they allow your body to absorb the training you're doing.

With regard to training it really depends on what you're training for so it's hard to answer that one .

I don't know what state your injury is at now but i would urge you to rest it until it clears up .You could substitute running with some no impact training ie swimming

When you start back running build it back up slowly, probably like me you don't feel satisfied by a short run, but it really is best practisce to avoid further injury.Also if it's possible for you try running on a softer surface eg grass as this will be much more forgiving on your body.

Finally addictions,not something i suffer with apart from chocolate, beer and wine ,oops turns out i do i must be in denial or something .I'll have to find an addictive personalty website now.

take care don't hesitate to ask anything else and i hope you get sorted !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys will definitely take your advice about the gait test and will check out the website on piriformis stretches. Am with my friendly physio tomorrow so will see what she has to say, but SIX WEEKS without running, although have found low impact cardio at gym helps, is making me quite cranky!!! As for the short runs I can seriously relate, they feel like a waste of time... have only just turned my Ipod on and I'm finished and quite frankly nothing else, bike, cross-trainer does it for me... am missing the high I used to get after a run. Nevermind, hope to be back at it soon! Thanks again guys;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts