Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having persevered with a hip injury for the past couple of months, I finally went to see an osteopath today. I’d tried the usual – ice packs/hot & cold treatments, stretches, anti inflamatory etc but no joy.

Basically I’ve been told it could be one of three – tendonitis, tendonosis or bursitis – he doesn’t think it’s the latter of the three but can’t rule out at this stage.

I’ve now to go through a trial and error process – with no running.

Anyway, my question is – does anyone know of any good webiste where I can get more info – particulalry on hip tendonosis. Bursitis seems to be pretty well documented but I’m struggling to find more detailed info on the other two (specifically for the hip). It was an hour long session with lots of information – most of which I’ve fogotten.

I’m the kind of person who needs to know all the ins and outs so any advice/info would be appreciated!

Thanks muckle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - the problem is finding anything specific to the hip. Plenty on tennis elbow!!!

I'll shall continue to search away - was looking quick answer. Patience isn't my thing :) !!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
oooh right... that would make sense! I'm used to searching for things that are specific to only one area of the body... erm... "tendonosis of the hip"? :embarrassed:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"tendonosis of the hip"

I'm thinking the same but no - can't seem to find any related links that are localised to the hip - plenty of swimmers shoulder, tennis elbow - more the upper body. Did find an article on hip tendinitis but nothing on tendinosis.

I'm just being impatient though. I'll have a proper gander tonight and get back to doing some work!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I feel for you, its a frustrating injury. I recently had 6 weeks out with similar... My physio thought it might be Bursitis... I had a good few sessions with her, and tried to sort out the cause rather than the problem. My issue came from my leg and ankle that is held together with metal work and bone grafts, because I unintentionally compensate and favour the other leg, certain muscle groups on my other side are weakened... exercises, new trainers and insoles, and 6 weeks rest, seem to have helped, I am now 5 weeks back into a decent schedule.

I have used osteopaths for other injuries in the past (back and neck injuries from parachuting), and have settled on a "decent" sports physio instead as I found them much more effective and helpful (just my experience), so perhaps check one out as a second opinion and cause cure rather than just curing the end problem.

Sorry not to actually answer your question as such, but thought I would give my experience on a similar injury.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that - good idea - I think I might actually do that as I feel a little disheartened at the mo.

I've used the same osteopath for around 10 years - much like yourself had other injuries (lower back) and they also helped greatly with migraines. You kind of stick to what you know which isn't always the right thing. It's probably me - I need rough timescales and more definite answers. It just all seems a little too vague - both the assesment, the cause and recovery!!

Hopefully a visit to a physio will be a more positive experience.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Let me know how you get on.... genuinely interested in your comparison...

Keep ya chin up... it will end, and then at 6am in the rain, wind and cold you will be trying to think back at how lucky you were when you had some multiple rest days to stay in bed :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts