Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting months for the 'SIS Tewkesbury Half Marathon', which is this weekend (13th May) and keeping my fingers crossed that the knee will be ok. I have now done something to my hip.
A horrible sharp stabbing pain every time I put weight onto my left leg.
I am icing and taking anti-inflams, but it is not looking good. :mad:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Dale,
Oh dear do you think you've torn something? Is it the hip flexors at the top of the thigh or is it more on the outside of the hip?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Edwina, thanks for reply....

The pain is on the outside towards the rear of the hip joint. Wondering if it could be a nerve (Sciatica)...?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
With nerve irritations you usually get shooting pains, pins & needles, prickling etc. Any discomfort when sitting or lying down? My sciatic nerve mostly irritates me when sitting or lying down. You could try massaging the area with a tennis ball and see if that provides any relief. Do you know any of the sciatic stretches?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Dale,

Afraid I'm not much use on injury advice so I thought I'd just reply as wish you all the best for the weekend and hope you manage to do it.

G.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
My hip pain was related to connective tissue..according to fizz. She sorted it in one good session...until it came on again about 6 months later a few miles into FLM!! I'll be seeing fizz again next week to get it sorted out again.....

...hopefully!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
what about piriformis stretches?

Lay on your front with one leg bent underneath you so the knee is under your chest and your heel is about under your groin. Stretch out your other leg, and then lean your hips ever so slightly over to the side of the bent leg...ie if your left leg is bent underneath you, lean your hips slightly over to your left.

Repeat the stretch to the other side

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ok sciatic stretches:

Lie on your back and rest your right foot on your left knee. Loop your hands behind you left thigh and pull the leg towards you until you feel a stetch in your outer hip and bum. Hold for 30 seconds then repeat on your left side.

You might want to consider some glute strengthening exercises as well - know how to do a clamshell? Lie on your side and bend your knees -legs should be stacked on top of each other and the insides of your feet should be touching. Raise and lower the top leg (keeping the knee bent) and repeat 20 times - aim to do 3 sets of 20 reps on each side. Its called a clamshell because its supposed to look like a clam opening.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
what about piriformis stretches?

Lay on your front with one leg bent underneath you so the knee is under your chest and your heel is about under your groin. Stretch out your other leg, and then lean your hips ever so slightly over to the side of the bent leg...ie if your left leg is bent underneath you, lean your hips slightly over to your left.

Repeat the stretch to the other side
Do you have to recite poetry at the same time Trin?! :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
Well you could do...but that's advanced level stretching and I'm not sure Dale is ready for that yet...it could get messy :confused:
So you've only given him CSE stretches then!
Hate to think what Phd stretches would involve.:eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve... we're going to have to apologise to Dale in a minute for hijacking his thread

He might be stuck in the piriformis stretch as we post....unable to get to the PC or call for help :confused:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have done the stretches you recommended, and my leg's just fallen off.....

Feels ok. Will carry-on stretching.....

Tell more about the chandelier then....?

The photo's are on ebay - Listed under 'Strange Items'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts