Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm very new around here - probably a couple of minutes - but have come here for some advice.

At the moment, I'm in training for the Amsterdam Marathon in October. Last Sunday I had a 14-mile run. It was my longest run up to that point and it was at the pace I wanted and went quite well. In fact I felt I had two or three miles left in my legs when I finished.

This weekend's long run had to be postponed one day due to work commitments and was a 15 miler. However as I was going round, I could feel myself slowing losing energy and having to ration my lucozade sport because otherwise I knew I would run out. The pace was about the same as last week's but on 12 miles, I just hit the wall. It was just after a very small climb when it happened, but it didn't surprise me it happened. The final three miles were done with a combination of two brief stops and three maybe four short periods of walking.

Has anyone any advice, what I can do, to try and avoid a repeat of this?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I don't think you hit an official wall. I think you just had a bad run day. It happens. You just have to get back out there.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think I agree with JBB...was it hotter than normal? If so it really probably was an off day....do a shorter run this weekend..say 10 miles and then go back up to a longer one the following weekend.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy responses.

It felt cooler, but it was still warm, and it was a sticky warm and I was sweating an awful lot more than last weekend.

Secondly my schedule has 12 miles this weekend and 17 the weekend after, so I'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Agree with both the above, we all get them, bad days that is, just make sure you're well hydrated and carb loaded up for the next long 'un

Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Peanut,
Sunday before last I ran just short of 10 miles, no probs. did three shorter runs in the week, no probs. I set of last sunday on a 10 miler and ran an absolute shocker with no rhyme or reason. I felt fine before I set off and then after 3 miles I was struggling, heavy legged even after resting two days and I curtailed my run and headed back home and finished up only doing 6 miles and that was a real battle. No idea why, I was running a minute and a half slower than my usual pace at one point. My little bit of personal experience has taught me that it was a bad day and nothing else. went out again yesterday two days later and knocked off five miles with no problems! I had a funny turn last year too where I just stopped a mile from home and sat down on a rock on the beach defeated and usually I NEVER stop, no matter how tired I am, but those bad days are in a league of their own. Thankfully, they're quite rare:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Peanut

keep us posted on how you get on, on your next run, like the others have said I am sure it was just a bad run :(

Bet you have a good one next :)

TT

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, so good since. Had a 3.5 mile run on Wednesday which went fine, and an 8 mile earlier tonight. Despite my iPod deciding to change to km for some reason, and thinking I was aiming for 3km, so I was busy trying to convert my pace, everything went fine. My aim is for a 1hr 40 half marathon, and tonight's run was just three seconds per mile pace outside that. My last three miles were also the quickest, and I did it without carrying fluids during the run. I'm just going to put down the 15 miler as a bad day at the moment, but see how the next two long ones go.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi peanut... I'm training for Amsterdam too :)

What kind of schedule are you on though... to go from 14, then 12 and then jump up to 17 sounds a bit unusual to me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started training back in January but I broke two toes in my right foot which set back my training and so I'm trying to follow a schedule on Ultra-Fitmagazine. I cannot post a link but it's the third result on google for the search "marathon training schedule".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Peanut.. hitting the wall is when you run out of stored energy in the form of glycogen in your muscles. This is a very ready source of energy for respiration and when it's gone your body turns to it's fat reserves and that is a much slower process.

You could have run out of glycogen but normally you would have enough to run over 20 miles so it's more likely that you had a bad day for whatever reason. I agree with all the above on that front, today i did 20 miles and was 25 mins slower than the 19 i did last week. that's the difference between a good and a bad run!

so chin up, next time out make sure you're careful in the run up to your long run and you'll be back to normal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts