Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
new members joining everyday with strange names look whos talking but no posts

you can generally tell who is going to post though they tend to put some details up

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
that's true...

maybe we should encourage them a bit more..

If you're reading this and new here...don't be shy, we're quite a friendly little forum really :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trinity said:
that's true...

maybe we should encourage them a bit more..

If you're reading this and new here...don't be shy, we're quite a friendly little forum really :rolleyes:
perhaps it's the loaded weapon pointed at them Trin:eek:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
cheriton said:
Does anyone know how many members onthis forum have never posted a thread ?
Total users: 1992
Number with 0 posts: 1024

There are a few reasons why the number of 0 posters is so low.
1. There are various trends surrounding almost all forums in existance, one of them is that people will sign up and not post. I've been in forums for years and I still don't know why it happens. People either forget they've signed up, or think they get something when they do (see 2). But usually between 30 and 60% of all people who sign up simply never post.
2. For a reason that I don't understand, some forums insist that you sign up before you can even view them. This gets people used to the idea that if they do sign up, they'll see more than they do now, or they'll get offered something.
3. Some of those will be spammers. We have controls in place that tries to stop spammers posting. If they try and fail they'll likely move somewhere else, leaving them as a 0 poster.
4. Some people are just shy, or they don't know what to say, or they thought they wanted to sign up but it turns out they're not really that interested after all.

In my experience there are some people who wouldn't post even if you paid them, encouragement can help bring a few in but with most people if they have no intention of posting, there's not much you can do to entice them.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that It does make you wonder why they go to the trouble of signing up it's in a spammers interest but the others :confused:
still this forum is great they don't know what their missing keep up the good work !!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder what they look at (what threads I mean) when they are lurking.

Do you think they are picking up hints and tips from other peoples questions or are just trying to suss out what we are like.

I cannot understand the lurkers, if they join why don't they talk.

I have joined a few forums and I have got to say this is by far the friendliest (and funniest) by far.

I just love ya all

:p :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've recently joined - hello! But you don't have to join to pick up tips here, do you? I started reading posts for a few days before I signed up and the reason I joined was to ask questions and get advice. I've already received a very warm welcome, so thanks for that. :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think the most viewings are on the threads are the ones with titles like ooh my nips hurt or my general wont salute when it's cold so if you've got a really boring thread and you want to draw the viewers think of an imaginative title:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
cheriton said:
i think the most viewings are on the threads are the ones with titles like ooh my nips hurt or my general wont salute when it's cold so if you've got a really boring thread and you want to draw the viewers think of an imaginative title:)
Hmm! worked for me. I stopped posting when I stop running through illness or I have nothing to say (I don't know much about running); my son tends to hog the computer so I sometimes can't get the chance to check any responses to posts. It works best for me when I have some general query.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Another thing that can sometimes put people off is the fact this is a small and friendly place.
Because everyone here gets on with everyone else and the conversations flow pretty naturally, new people might not know how to join in.

Think of it as walking in on a party where everyone knows each other, but you don't know anyone.

The new members forum does help a lot, but a problem there is that most people don't know how to form an intro.

I do have a couple of ideas how we might be able to increase posts. I'll run them past admin, see what he thinks.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
good point that bairy you do give them the oppurtunity at registration and i think pretty much all the regulars give them a warm welcome i always try to add a litlebit to put them at their ease !!

i originally asked the question because eveytime i'm on line there always seems to be someone registering :)

It's certainly sparked some interest though so that's a positive as far as i;m concerned .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts