Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week tomorrow I am off with my husband and kids to the Algarve for a week of fun in the sun :cool: Can't wait as it's been a really exhausting year with my MIL being terminally ill we have put off a holiday but needs must. (Fingers crossed she holds out till we get back)

We are going All Inclusive and although I'm so excited to be going I'm also stressing about my eating and drinking habits as I have done so well in the past 4 weeks trying to slim into my bikini :embarrassed:

I'm seriously considering taking my runners with me *polishes halo* and getting out for a wee run while the kids are in the kids club.

How many of you still continue with your running schedule while you are on holiday? I'm worried if I don't I will lose my mojo and be back to square one plus another half stone to carry when I get back :worried:

Nat

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I find I run more on holiday than I do at home. Up at between 0530 and 0600 out for a run and back for breakfast starting. Mrs Squint get to sleep in peace till I return knocking on the door dripping in sweat.

I even take my trainers when I'm away on business and sometimes manage to fit in a run or two depending on workload, timing and safety and weather.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yep, I've done it last two years. Barcelona and Nice - have to get out early before it gets too hot (although even so it was way warmer than home), but really nice. Just go with a relaxed pace, and a route by the front with a beautiful sea sparkling in the sunshine - can't beat it.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I like it because it gives me a heads up on the surrounding area, get to know my way around a bit sooner and quicker. Mrs Squint likes it for that reason too saves us always getting lost. She just asks me where everything is after the first couple of days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ran in France in August and it was the first time I've run on holiday although I have always taken my kit with me on previous holidays, just never done it!. Personally I think it depends how hot it's going to be, I can't even consider running when its hot and sticky and the idea of getting up at 5am to go for a run doesn't appeal when I'm at home let alone on hols! but it's each to their own I guess

I think if you're training for something specific then it's wise to keep to your training plan whilst on holiday but if not, ,maybe just try a couple of easy 30 min runs while you are away to keep yourself ticking over but don't stress too much about it

I normally find that after a holiday of self indulgence, minimal exercise and eating crap, I can't wait to get home and back into it, so to speak, and I usually find that if I have gained half a stone whilst away (which is easily achieveable for me!), I can lose this in a week when I get back home and back into my normal eating and exercise patterns

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on eating masses as I bloat up really quick and with the heat too I swell like a beached whale. Not pleasant!!

I think the early morning runs would be a safety issue for me. Going places I dont know where I am going alone in a foreign country I wouldnt be comfortable with and I know hubby wouldnt be happy either.

I may do some easy running along the beach if I suss out the route and plenty of swimming to keep my fitness levels up. I can't run in the heat either. Give me cold wet weather anyday :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts