Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :)

I'm Ed, 22 and living in Cardiff at the moment. I ran a lot as a teenager, both middle distance track and cross country. Somewhere along the line I lost my motivation, it was probably just adolescence. During the past six months I've rekindled my interest in running and competed in my first public event - the Great South Run in October. My training for it was pretty touch and go, but I really enjoyed the event and began to understand the "running bug" analogy.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep motivated this year. I guess I could make it a New Year's resolution but that wasn't my intention. I did some gruelling interval training today, I just hate winter! :mad: I was hoping to sign up for another event to keep myself motivated and I thought I might step up to a half marathon. So the first thing I want to ask is: What half marathons have other people run and which ones have they enjoyed the most? I don't mind too much about location, I'll travel for a good experience :)

I hope everyone's enjoying their running. It's nice to find somewhere for us strange folk to congregate! I bet you all know that look you get from members of public that says "why are you doing that to yourself?" heh :) I'll shut up now.
All the best anyway,
Ed

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to the mad world of RF!

There are plenty of good 1/2ms about but would suggest your next event be a ten miler so that you don't pick up your distances too quickly.

My favourite 1/2ms have been at Windsor and St Neots.

Yes we all get that look! However who's the fool at the end of the day?

All the best with your training.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right, I want to be in good shape before I enter my first half marathon and I'm hardly in tip top condition! Thanks for the info anyway, will check it out.
Cheers
Ed

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve said:
If you're not already a member of a local running club try to find one to join. It's the best way to keep motivated.
trouble is I move around an awful lot! I live and study in Cardiff at the mo but only for the next 5 months. Hopefully I'll settle somewhere soon because I do wanna join a club, I just wanna be able to stick around once I do! I've not had other runners to train with since I was in school ha ha! :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hollywood said:
Go on - just enter one! The only way you'll get into tip top shape is if you've got the target to aim for ;o)
It looks like I might be heading over to Canada for a couple of months and I was looking at entering a half marathon while I'm over there, it's quite a cool way to explore :) There's one in Toronto and I just tried to post a link to another one but I'm not allowed because I'm sub 15-post scum! Anyway ha, there's one that crosses Niagara Falls! Crazy stuff.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Join the word game to get your posts past 15.............:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't stick just to Half Marathons.
10K 10 miles and all other distances will help and keep your motivation up.
also don't be afraid to enter a cross country event in the winter.
They're muddy but great fun and normally between 5k to 10k.
quite a few runners are scared of getting muddy but it is good fun really.
also when training don't just stick to the same routes. go off road through woods or fields there are lots of local pathways that take you off the usual tarmac and away from the traffic.
I often run around a local forest and can do 10 miles without going down the same track twice. this certainly keeps my motivation, especially when you see all the wildlife. The mud and hills and different terrain help with your fitness enormously.
Keep running and keep smiling don't fun fast every time you train but enjoy some of the runs.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Iceburg said:
Don't stick just to Half Marathons.
10K 10 miles and all other distances will help and keep your motivation up.
also don't be afraid to enter a cross country event in the winter.
They're muddy but great fun and normally between 5k to 10k.
quite a few runners are scared of getting muddy but it is good fun really.
also when training don't just stick to the same routes. go off road through woods or fields there are lots of local pathways that take you off the usual tarmac and away from the traffic.
I often run around a local forest and can do 10 miles without going down the same track twice. this certainly keeps my motivation, especially when you see all the wildlife. The mud and hills and different terrain help with your fitness enormously.
Keep running and keep smiling don't fun fast every time you train but enjoy some of the runs.
Welcome to the forum Iceburg

I did an 8 mile run through a forest fairly local to me which was really great fun, nice and muddy, plus quite hilly also tests your strength, this was my first off road so to speak... thoroughly recommend it

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone :) I'll start exploring very soon! I ran cross country most weekends in my early teens used to love it. I guess maybe I've come to equate it more with my earlier years of running, but I think it would be good fun if I went for it again. All the best to everyone thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts