Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done any horse riding since my teens when I used to clean stables for a lady in the village. She paid me £2.50 an hour and after a while gave me some lessons in return, which was fantastic. The only times I ever got on a horse after that were thanks to a couple of friends at the vets who were lucky enough to own horses.

I'd really like to do some more riding at some stage, and wondered if anybody here rides, and if so, whether it helps with your running? My training programme suggests I cross train three times a week, and I love the variety this brings. Could riding count as one of the sessions - right now I can't afford any lessons, let alone a horse of my own, but I'm looking to the future!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have started to learn to ride recently, I have only had 10+ lessons so far, but loving it! I found that I have stopped my cycling at weekends at the moment as my legs after running, cycling, and horse riding on Saturdays and Sundays were taking its toll....

I am such a novice, that I cant say yet if its of any physical benefit to me, but I am guessing its helping my legs and core stability........

I would be really interested to hear from experienced riders if the riding is helpful and counting toward the Xcross training :)

Even if it does not......... its a really cooooooooooooooooooool thing to get into!! :)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I had a horse in my teens, which coincided with my X-country (running) days- he was an Anglo Arab and a bit of a nutter and he helped my fitness mainly by tipping me off so I had to run after him...

Seriously, though, riding is (as Base says) good for core stability and your thighs in particular, and it's great fun besides- go for it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
....and another advantage I have found, is that not a lot of men horse ride, so that means I am the only male at the stables, surrounded by females! :) BRILLIANT! Its an untapped resource! Sod going to bars! Hang out at stables! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts