Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all.A year ago I stopped smoking after 25 yrs and started running.I`m 44 yrs old and I now run 25-30 miles per week.I split this into runs of 5-7 miles,with the odd 10 mile thrown in every 2 weeks or so to prove to myself I can do it. A 5 mile run takes me around 44 mins,and 10 miles around 1 hr 34 mins.This seems quite slow to me,am I right? Any advice or comments about how I am doing and where I should go from here would be gratefully received. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dave, it sounds like you are getting on very nicely indeed. A good base and regular routine by the sounds of it (wish I had done this!).

As to how to improve, in what way do you want to improve? Distance? Speed?

Do you have any targets?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the vote of confidence hammerite.I needed it because I do my running on my own and so didn`t really have anybody to judge myself against.Would love to up my speed a bit, and maybe try a half marathon this year.All seems a bit odd when I was struggling to run a mile a year ago.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks No.8. A 10k is a good idea I think.I`ll have to do some digging and find a local race.I missed a 5 mile at Easter as I was away. It would have been my first. Thanks again Dave.

I think i`m going to enjoy being part of this forum.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Dave said:
Hi to you all.A year ago I stopped smoking after 25 yrs and started running.I`m 44 yrs old and I now run 25-30 miles per week.I split this into runs of 5-7 miles,with the odd 10 mile thrown in every 2 weeks or so to prove to myself I can do it. A 5 mile run takes me around 44 mins,and 10 miles around 1 hr 34 mins.This seems quite slow to me,am I right? Any advice or comments about how I am doing and where I should go from here would be gratefully received. Thanks Dave.
Welcome to the forum Dave, sounds like you doing well. If you're looking to continue progressing have you thought about joining a club?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan.Maybe joining a club will give me yhe incentive a need to push myself harder.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There should be plenty of clubs in the Essex area for you to try out. I'm not from round there but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to assist.

Training in a group will really help your race times, also it's always good to get to know fellow runners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts