Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might sound a strange question - but the last 2 races I've received a chip, and that was fairly straightforward.

However for the next one I've just recieved a number, and there's no mention of chip timing on the race details or anywhere - it's a pretty small race compared to the other 2 I've done so I imagine they won't have hired in a timing company.

So I was just wondering how races without chip timing manage to provide people with an official time?!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have done races with chip, without chip timed still and with both, I believe they time you with a good old fashioned stop watch and write your race number down.

The race where I have had both which is known as a gun time as soon as the race starts regardless of where you are in the pack your time starts as soon as the gun goes off.

I hope this helps.

TT

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done races with chip, without chip timed still and with both, I believe they time you with a good old fashioned stop watch and write your race number down.

The race where I have had both which is known as a gun time as soon as the race starts regardless of where you are in the pack your time starts as soon as the gun goes off.

I hope this helps.

TT
I guess thinking about it, a human with a stopwatch is the only other way!!! Hope they have a few or they might miss someone if a lot finish at once. Will make sure I have my Garmin and start it up when I cross the start and finish line, then if they say I did it in 33:09 I will know they made a human error :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Yeah... good ol' stopwatches ;)

I've handed out flyers out various races and it's been interesting to see the different funnel systems and methods of double checking results etc, but they all use the same principle of using a stopwatch and noting down numbers against times.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether they have one person noting both numbers and times, or one person noting numbers, and another noting times (which would then be put together to form the results)... Various back-up methods I've seen include video'ing the finishers, and having a second person noting down numbers at the end of the finish funnel :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts