Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can chocolate be of any use to runners? Perhaps for post race refuelling? Or should I just give it up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
you sound far too seriously into running health, it will end in tears (or strains). chocolate is good for your mental health, which is an important part of running.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chocolate is lovely!

Loads of it is (clearly) good for you.

I had a kitkat just prior to Wokingham Half last weekend.

And I loved my mars bar at the end of the Windsor Half last year.

And someone told me dark chocolate is an excellent source of anti-oxidants although I can't quite recall why that is a good thing.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
My pre-race "meal" is plain chocolate with white bread. After a few years of running and racing I got to this solution for frequent digestive problems during races.

So if it works for you, it can be beneficial for running in more than just a pleasurable way (but it tastes great too :p )

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chocolate

Fulmar said:
My pre-race "meal" is plain chocolate with white bread. After a few years of running and racing I got to this solution for frequent digestive problems during races.

So if it works for you, it can be beneficial for running in more than just a pleasurable way (but it tastes great too :p )
Hi Fulmar,
Not to sure but it could be something to do with chocolate (dairy products) taking longer to digest. I could be wrong mind you.
I'm an advocate of a peanut butter sandwich washed down with a sports drink, before my longer runs.
A good book on sports nutrition to read would be by Anita Bean (can't remeber th title). I bought it and it has some very helpful advice.

stupot

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hey Stupot :)
Is that the purple book with two runners on the cover?
If yes then it's on my shelf and it has been very useful ;)

stupot said:
Hi Fulmar,
Not to sure but it could be something to do with chocolate (dairy products) taking longer to digest. I could be wrong mind you.
I'm an advocate of a peanut butter sandwich washed down with a sports drink, before my longer runs.
A good book on sports nutrition to read would be by Anita Bean (can't remeber th title). I bought it and it has some very helpful advice.

stupot

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I now have enough chocolate to last until Easter.... 2008!

For my birthday (which is today btw....but I think I might have mentioned that somewhere ;) ) I got 8 (yes 8!) bars of Green and Blacks...assorted flavours, 1 box of Green and Blacks milk, plain and white chocolates, and 2 bags of belgian chocolate chips :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anita Bean

Fulmar said:
Hey Stupot :)
Is that the purple book with two runners on the cover?
If yes then it's on my shelf and it has been very useful ;)
Hi,
Not all that sure if thats the one, I know the book has many different covers (I've seen at least 2)
Well at least that books working for you :d

1 - 18 of 18 Posts