Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way to loose the belly. i cant do situps as this kills my back. i am watching my food intake but not winning in that dept all the time.

not sure about this but i read somewhere that riding a bike is 1 of the best ways to loose it. is there someone out there that can confirm this or what method did you use or are at present using

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Have you got a diagnosed back problem or is it just weak?

If it's just a case of a weak back then you should do some back strengthening exercises first, which will help you to avoid back problems in the future.

Have you got one of those 'Fit Balls'? If not, try and get one, I think Argos and some large supermarkets sell them.

For the first week use it as much as you can to sit on...at the pc, watching tv etc. That should wake up your back and abdominal muscles.

For the second week start with back strengthening by laying on the fit ball so your tummy is on the fit ball and your feet are on the floor but steadying you against a wall or a chair. Gently clasp your hands behind your back and then lift your back up as far as is comfortable, hold a second and then down.

You don't need to do too many of these lifts initially...maybe 10 or so, so long as you do them daily.

The third week you should notice your back becoming a little stronger so you can increase the amount of lifts as you feel you can do.

Also in the third week you can start on your abdominals. Again, with your feet on the floor but steadied against a wall or chair lay so your lumbar or lower back is on the fit ball. Cross your arms over your chest and then lift up as far as is comfortable.

Again, you could start with 10 but by day 4 you should be able to do 2 sets of 10 with a couple of minutes rest between sets.

Over the following weeks increase the amount of back lifts and abdominal exercises as you feel stronger. The important thing is regularity...do some every day.

It won't be long before you can feel and see the difference.

However... if you can't do any of the above due to a back injury then you should probably get some GP advice and physio to try and correct it because I'm sure you know, that as you get older a weak back is likely to get worse.

Hope this helps... feel free to message me if you need to :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Riding a bike did work for me,I lost almost a couple of stone in just over a year.
By using a heart rate monitor and riding with a local group of different capabilities this really pulled me along.Similar to the advice you get for running really,if you can find a local group this will keep your enthusiasm up.
I used to meet with a group at Herongate cycles on the A128 heading towards Brentwood.
It might be worth popping in there if you are interested.Dave will advise you on anything you need to know.;)
In the meantime,the strengthening exercises can only do you good.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I agree, riding a bike is good, although if you have a weakness in your back it could make things worse....although you may be ok with a 'sit up and beg' kind of bike like the one the Wicked Witch of the West had in the Wizard of Oz :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Trinity said:
I agree, riding a bike is good, although if you have a weakness in your back it could make things worse....although you may be ok with a 'sit up and beg' kind of bike like the one the Wicked Witch of the West had in the Wizard of Oz :rolleyes:

Good point Trinity.Having not been a victim of any major back pain in the past bernlyn.It's not something that I've ever had to really consider.As with all exercise just take it easy at first and hopefully you can avoid the "lycra on a sit up and beg look".:eek:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
"how can i get rid of your belly" Quote/thread title

Anyway,bernlyn.
I'm having enough trouble getting rid of my belly.you worry about your own:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hot foot said:
"how can i get rid of your belly" Quote/thread title

Anyway,bernlyn.
I'm having enough trouble getting rid of my belly.you worry about your own:p

LOL :p just seen it.

i also want to get rid of mine but wondering how others got rid of theirs

·
Registered
180 Posts
ive got the same problem, my belly is more promenant since ive toned up in other areas. But i bought one of those fit balls there great even the kids love it and they come with a list of exercises. There is also a program i caught on in the morning on sky sports i think, its a load of aussie women doing aerobics and sometimes they use those balls. Its something to look out for or sky plus it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The amount of people that say they do, for instance, 100 sit ups a day to get rid of their belly is incredible. You cannot spot reduce by doing sit ups - it's a complete waste of time. A good overall cardio workout and if you have access to weights that's even better is the best thing you can do together with a healthy eating plan and lots of sleep!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts