Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p

So I can do 5km mix on running for about 3 quarters and a quarter short walks to catch my breath and when going uphill.

Seriously I can't seem to run very far uphill/slight inclines but downhill or slight decline I am happy as larry and can run non stop for about 1mile ish.

My legs hurt, my lungs hurt - I have been pushing myself by saying ok run just to the next house or next bus stop or stick a track from the Rockys soundtrack on (don't laugh!! it works...lol) etc.

So I guess my question is there any tried and tested training methods? I am clearly not as fit as I thought!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I've found it's pretty much suck it and see when it comes to training...what suits me won't necessarily suit you.

Running uphill is hard....if you struggle I would guess that you are trying to either go too fast uphill or the hill is too long.

Try slowing down or finding a shorter hill...if latter not possible break the hill into portions.

You are doing the right thing in pushing yourself...as long as you don't overdo it.

Best way to improve is to join a local running club.

Glad Larry's happy!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Deb, I am nw to running only been doing it for ten weeks, I have been following a run/walk program from a book called running made easy, but I brought a zest magazine today and it is in there, so that may help you. It increases gradually, I struggled to run for a minute at a time when I started, but feel much fitter now. Although what you are doing, sounds pretty similar.

I also saw your other post about losing weight, I too am struggling to lose weight, although I only want to lose about ten pounds, I joined weight watchers last week and stayed the same, so trying extra hard this week. I am hoping it is muscle which is heavier than fat, but I really want to tone up as well as lose a few pounds. :d

·
Registered
70 Posts
Karen Edmunds said:
Hi Deb, I am nw to running only been doing it for ten weeks, I have been following a run/walk program from a book called running made easy, but I brought a zest magazine today and it is in there, so that may help you. It increases gradually, I struggled to run for a minute at a time when I started, but feel much fitter now. Although what you are doing, sounds pretty similar.

I also saw your other post about losing weight, I too am struggling to lose weight, although I only want to lose about ten pounds, I joined weight watchers last week and stayed the same, so trying extra hard this week. I am hoping it is muscle which is heavier than fat, but I really want to tone up as well as lose a few pounds. :d
I just realised I answered the completely wrong thread on this so oops!!! Thats red wine for you!!!

K x

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi debs... if you're having to stop to catch your breath you may well be running too fast! for a steady run you should be running at a pace that means you're able to hold conversation, even if it means running not much faster than you'd walk!

That should help you be able to run in bigger chunks at a time, though fear not, if you're running too fast and having to stop, then it'll be doing your fitness just as much good (if not more) than a consistant run at a much slower pace.

Hills hurt, sadly the only way to get better at them is to keep running them ;) stick at it and you'll soon see some improvements.

Great stuff so far though, always makes me smile to see a new runner on the forum :) Keep it up!! :d

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so now I know hills or inclines are gonna hurt regardless, so if I improve my flat running and therefore my fitness levels hopefully - they might get easier??? :embarrassed:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm with Rich, on some of my runs I don't go much above walking pace.

Perhapse the easiest way to build fitness is to count. if you can get your feet hitting the ground 160 times a minute, no matter how small your steps are then that will build your fitness right up. If you count every other left foot fall for a minute and it's 40 or above then you're on the right path.

If you're running up hill then shorten your stride. Doesn't matter if you go up slower than walking pace, as long as you keep it up then you'll be building condition really fast.

If you can get your leg cadence up and get used to having your feet hit the ground that often then when yo do get stronger and your stride increases keeping your cadence the same will make you go a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
In theory that's exactly what will happen yes!! :d

What I've found though is that as my fitness has improved, I just end up running up the hills faster and they still hurt just as much :rolleyes:

I Run up the hills faster to get them out the way :embarrassed: ........ still hate them though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
not when your bum wobbles down them :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
yeah but only wore them on a couple of occassions, i have them for training this evening so ill let you know if it stops it :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
yeah but only wore them on a couple of occassions, i have them for training this evening so ill let you know if it stops it :p

.............definately running tonight now...purely for scientific anaylsis and research purposes of course!! ;) :d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts