Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

After jogging for a month I started to get lower back pain. I stopped running for 3 weeks and the pain went away. Now I'm running again and the pain is back. Only trouble is I've got my first race on Sunday! Does anybody know how I can strengthen my back? Or should I be stretching more? I despirate to to the race, and also despirate to keep jogging!

Ed

·
Registered
707 Posts
Pilates! Apparently. This is what my pilates teacher tells me, although I've not had any back problems myself. Apparently people who have poor core stabillity use their back more for that stability, so because pilates works on the core muscles, it means you rely a bit less on your lower back muscles, thus they ache less. For me personally I've found that it's helped by general posture and stability, I feel a bit stronger in terms of that kind of stability when i'm running, so give it a go, it can't hurt.

Edit: if you have an actual spine problem then it may need something a bit more directed than pilates - if pilates actually hurts or doesn't help at all, go see your GP or physio.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Only been running a couple of years (very late starter !), but when I started, after about 6 weeks training I started to get back pain, which came on immediately after a run (though I would say it was more upper than lower). I introduced some specific back stretches to the stretching I was already doing (before and after) and have never had any more problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much everone for all of the fantastic advice! I'm doing the G Mile race in Llantrisant on Sunday. My back is a touch sour, but better. I'm gonna go to Cardiff tomorrow and get some proper running shoes. I'll let you all know how the race goes!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My husband has a bad back, his physio said that to strengthen the back you need to strengthen your gut. A gym ball is an ideal tool to do things such as sit ups. It'll give you the support you need but boy does it work.
Good luck with the race.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Taurus said:
My husband has a bad back, his physio said that to strengthen the back you need to strengthen your gut. A gym ball is an ideal tool to do things such as sit ups. It'll give you the support you need but boy does it work.
Good luck with the race.
Absolutely 100% correct but 1 proviso if at any point you feeel any shooting pains or feel anything unusual stop immediately! and seek a medical opinion .

When you start your exersices make sure your muscles are warm and don't overstretch

yourself !

From a very experienced back sufferer

cheriton

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pilates is the great place to start if your GP says it's ok. I have lower back pain, basically a muscle spasm caused by weak posture.

I've completed about 6 months of classes run by professional teachers and would stress that this is the best way to go since most gym classes in my experience tend to over book and the instructor would find it hard to ensure you're doing the right exercise.

It's been a massive improvement since I realised that I was running and hanging off my spine (if that makes sense?!) If you feel that's what you're doing then tuck and roll your tummy in so that you're being supported by your stomach muscles not the base of your spine which causes the problem. Give pilates a go, it's really helpful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a slipped disc, but I have found using a Gym Ball has helped tons with my back.

There is a book 101 exercises to do on your Gym Ball. The book has so many different workouts and almost every exercise you do even if its sitting on the ball doing arm weights will strengthen your "Core" muscles which will help your back strength.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts