Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there!
I have just done my first 10K race in 47min8sec and although I found it tough I enjoyed it and am keen to do some more races. Thing is I'm quite new to running and am not sure how I can get better times. Training wise I have been running between 4-5 miles 4 times a week but since the race last sun my shins are a bit sore so I've been taking it easy. Any advice on how to improve would be great thanks!
sophie

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi there!
I have just done my first 10K race in 47min8sec and although I found it tough I enjoyed it and am keen to do some more races. Thing is I'm quite new to running and am not sure how I can get better times. Training wise I have been running between 4-5 miles 4 times a week but since the race last sun my shins are a bit sore so I've been taking it easy. Any advice on how to improve would be great thanks!
sophie
Your shins are sore as i suspect you have been training on the road a lot. Rest them, then do as much training as you can on grass/trail etc. Train for distance first,you will get quicker naturally,then when you've got 6 months under your belt of consistent running,thats the time to introduce speedwork. I suggest starting off with a "fartlek" session(no jokes please)by this i mean doing 6/8 mls with a lot of surges interspersed within the run.Once you can handle that,then move onto more structured speedwork sessions. Build up your mileage slowly & be consistent & the results will come,good luck !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your help - have taken note of what you said so hopefully will see my time improve come my next race!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Also, to improve your times, you will eventually need to put in longer runs. Perhaps instead of running 4-5 miles 4 times a week, throw in a 6 or 7 mile run on a weekend and eventually build this up to a 10 mile run. Once you get the miles in your legs and build endurance, your 10k time will get a lot better. Also, if you do a longer run once or twice a week, you can do a couple of short and fast 5ks during the week. The secret to improving is more mileage and running a variety of distances (some at race pace and some slow recovery runs).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I joined my local club this year and it has brought my 10K times down massively I run with them once a week and the training is varied but I have been told that fast 800m reps down your local field/track are great for building up speed do 6-8 with 3 minute gaps between each rep! Do this once a week and any do any other weekly runs at 4-7 miles!

Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think most of it has already been covered - the key to improvement is quality sessions with a specific purpose... in a nutshell these could be...

A speedwork session, consisting of 200m, 400m, 800, efforts at faster than race pace with a short period of rest between (say 60-90secs)... these should help build muscle strength and also get your legs to turning over more quickly, hopefully the body will becomed accustomed to these faster speeds and naturally likft your 10k race pace.

Longer runs... by increasing the distance of one run a week you can help to build endurance. If you're body is used to running 10miles, then maintaining a faster pace for 6.2miles seems comparitively easy! Your speedwork will speed you up without doubt, but unless you've got the endurance to maintain that speed for the whole race, you won't be reaching your full potential ;)

Other sessions can be tempo runs, which would be a longer sustained effort... and something like a hill session, which will really help build strength and also get the lungs & heart working more than most sessions.

Once you've got several quality sessions planned a week, and decide that you want to add even more runs in, then you can start thinking about 'regular' or 'recovery' runs, where you jog round at a steady pace helping your muscles to recover from the harder sessions ;)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

I did a speedwork session on Saturday morning (6x800m with 100m recoveries - really really hard!) - then a long run (10 miles) on Sunday. I can definitely tell I am improving so cannot wait to get some new PBs now(!) The 10 mile took 1 hour 42 - and that was with about 4 pit-stops (for group to catch up) and at a slow pace. My PB for 10 miles is 1 hour 40 - and that is race pace(!) Can't wait for the half marathons now - the training definitely gives you such drive!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
out of interest how many speed sessions should be done a week?

is it ok to do intervals, tempo, strides and hills all in one week?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
A good question beasty! to be honest I've no idea... I'd guess around 2 differing sessions a week might be suggested as a guideline (e.g. intervals & tempo) but I can't see any reason why you can't fit in as many as you like, just so long as you watch for signs of over-training!

I'll be interested to hear what others have heard/read! :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
My running club usually does an interval session on a Tuesday and a tempo session on a Thursday - the Tuesday session is a mix of different intervals (either distance or time) to keep us improving.

So in answer to Beasty question, I'd think it should be okay to do one session of each during the week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts