Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just started running/jogging in the last 5 weeks, in an attempt to loose the flab I've accumulated over the last few years (13st 7lb at 5'9") My first run was about 5.5 miles on the beach which in hindsight was a big mistake, but nevermind, I made it within the hour, although walking became a problem shortly after!

Anyway, from this point I decided to pick a nice route around the village which works out at 3.5 miles exactly, a few friends who play semi-pro football (I don't) joining me, to keep fit close season and we run the route twice a week. My first time was just over 31 minutes, but each week I managed to improve slightly, and in my most recent run last night, I covered the route in 25mins exactly, and the most important thing for me, no backache or pain in the calves for the first time.

I've also lost 1st, which is nice..lol!

Anyway, enough of my background, my aim is to complete a 1/2 marathon next year, and i'd like some advice. I want to do a 1/2 marathon in a time under 1.5 hours, should I keep using my route until I get my desired speed to run that time and then add distance, or add more distance and work up to the speed that way? Also, any other tips greatly appreciated, major weakness at the moment is that the four of us talk all the way round, which i'm sure has a detrimental effect on my times, but is unnavoidable really.

Thanks!

Clint

·
Registered
220 Posts
Clint
Get the distance in first, then work on the times. No point being very fast if you can't actually cover the distance...
Getting to a 1:30 marathon in 12 months starting from scratch is a very ambitious goal. Have a look at the training programs on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=107 and decide for yourself whether you can put in the amount of work required. Whatever you do, golden rule is to increase weekly mileage by 10% maximum week on week, so make sure you don't get injured by doing too much too soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Greg, thanks for that, i'm quite keen to keep some speed work as although i've been overweight for some time, i'm quite a good sprinter, and need to keep the speed for five-a-side etc.

But i'll start upping mileage as from tomorrow, many thanks again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
All the schedule for sub-1:30 half maras will have you doing speedwork anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some good advice from Greg there clintmarcel, if you want to complete a half marathon you need to get some mileage in. Once you've done your first one you'll be able to concentrate on your times.

I have known people do sub 90 min halfs within 12 months of starting running, but it is a tall order. Sub 2 hours would be a good start I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts