Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been running now for 7 weeks. Slowly I've built up to 6 miles. My plan is to do some half marathons latter in the year. HOWEVER, I've a slight problem!!! If I jog in the late afternoon or evening I suffer from insomnia! Trouble is after a run I'm buzzing with excitment, and endorphines are pumping through my body at a rate of nots. This is all fine, but I'm getting more and more tired due to the lack of sleep. And I'm limited to only jogging first thing in the morning. Is this a normal ocurrance?

Ed

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Ed,

No advice really...just some sympathy from a fellow insomniac!!!

I tend to run in the mornings..its when I run best in my mind..plus it makes me feel much more alive especially if Ive had a bad night!! If running in the evening is making it even harder to go to sleep maybe it is best to run in the mornings..coz one of the things I hate most about not sleeping (other than the fustration and mind numbing boredom of still being up at 5am) is I really struggle to run at all if Ive had a few bad nights sleep..really takes its toll on me!!

Hope you find something that works for you...

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I sympathize but exersice when your tired from lack of sleep could be dangerous ie lack of concentration and lack of coordination could result in a fall

Don't know what advise to give regarding sleeping 'I don't struggle with it myself i can fall asleep on a chickens lip!

Take it easy

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
cheriton said:
... i can fall asleep on a chickens lip!
What? First it was sheep, and now it's chickens?
View attachment 179

I know that being over-tired can result in disturbed, or lost sleep.
I have experienced lost sleep after particularly successful races, with the adrenaline and what not.
Can't recall ever coming across anyone who has derived such a frequent and sustained "buzz" from merely training though.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
What? First it was sheep, and now it's chickens?
View attachment 179

I know that being over-tired can result in disturbed, or lost sleep.
I have experienced lost sleep after particularly successful races, with the adrenaline and what not.
Can't recall ever coming across anyone who has derived such a frequent and sustained "buzz" from merely training though.
I really have got to get out more! perhaps i should go out to the pub,and get drunk

If i have a hangover in the morning maybe i should have a "hare" of the "dog":eek:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
What do you eat for your dinner in the evenings is it carb based as this should help you sleep by giving you a sugar high and then a dip and it's the dip that helps you sleep.

If I have problems sleeping as I can do somtimes up to a week at a time I might take a nytol, which you can buy over the counter and that seems to do the trick, or if you don't want to try something like that how about hot milky drink?

I hope this is remedy soon I hate losing sleep :asleep:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Maybe run further/harder? I used to really struggle to sleep at night, then when I started excercising more vigorously I was plain shattered by bedtime!

Obviously make sure you're taking care of all the obvious potential causes e.g. eating late, watching TV/playing games before going to bed etc...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would suggest staying radically away from caffeine (even chocolate or tea) and learning some relaxation techniques. I guess there's plenty of information about them on the Internet. New-age stuff (Oriental techniques, meditation, yoga, etc.) can be very effective as well.
If you are going for the drugs, I think the more natural the better. I would rather take Lime tea, Valerian, than stuff produced by the pharmaceutical industry. Generally they are less addictive and have smaller secondary effects.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just thought I would add to it cos I'm feeling that tossing and turning, tossing and turning anguish tonight

......my own stupid fault for drinking 2 cans of red bull today:mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
tick tock tick tock........I wonder if it's actually worth going to sleep for less than 2 and a half hours?!:confused::wacko::nuts:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I last remember looking at the clock at 5.07am.......my alarm went off at 6am and I snoozed it once and didn't dare snooze it again for fear I would not wake up!!!! I'm gonna be like a bear with a sore head today:mad:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ouch, Yorkie! :(

I got about 4 hours last night, and thought that was bad... Oh well, guaranteed to sleep well tonight!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Perhaps you'd sleep better if you weren't sat in front of a computer all night?:huh:
I think that by adding posts you're keeping your mind active/awake, instead of letting it "shut down". (Maybe?):happy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts