Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope you are well.

I have been running for a couple of months now and am finding myself coming up with any excuse not to run. As soon as I'm out there I'm enjoying myself and wondering what all the fuss was about.

I really struggle after work (I work nights) I take my son to school and then try not to crawl straight into bed but its getting easier and easier to do just that. I then can't go out in the afternoon as I pick him up and then normal family life takes hold. If I'm truthfull I'm too scared to go out after dark, I live in the country and it scares the life out of me to go out in the dark lanes plugged in to a very loud mp3.

I feel bad because I become lazy, the longer I leave it the easier it becomes to not go. Then I get cranky because the release does me the world of good:rolleyes:

So I'm going to shut up now before I sound like a complete wierdo:embarrassed:
Over to you..............................help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think you're lucky choosing this time of year to start running!! Before you know it the lighter evenings will be upon us and getting out in the evenings will not be the problem they are at the moment. I know this, as I life in a village which is proud of not having street lights, so going anywhere at the moment means either going by car or taking a torch with you.

I for one find running and holding a torch are not the most natural combination!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I had several failed attempts to start running - the only way I managed to finally stick at it was to pay the entry fee for a race, book the flights and the hotel and then tell everyone I know that was going to do it. After that, missing training wasn't really an option.

Failing that - have you tried finding a running partner?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't have a family, but I do know what it's like to feel like you're really busy and CAN'T make the time for running, in my case it worked for me that I go running from my lab rather than going home first - I guess you can't do that if you have a tight schedule. I would suggest entering a race though - I'm all for running for the sake of running, BUT having entered a half marathon for april I made a 4 month training plan, and because I hate the dark and cold you can bet that if it weren't for the impending race, there's no way I could get myself out the door, or find ways to make time! Good luck, where there's a will, there's always a way :d Hope you find it, cuz it sounds like you truely want to!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I have been more dissaplined with myself since I was here last. I have found a couple of different routes that I use so I can have a change of scenery.

The idea of an actual race frightens the life out of me but its something to ponder about;)

I have been out with a girl from work but I find that I'm pushing her all the time (her self dissaplin is worse than mine:eek: ) I don't mind and we have fun, we go out together about once a fortnight because she works nights too and to meet up is hard.

I have noticed that not running as often has allowed the flabby bits to get bigger and thats a good bit of motivation!!! I want to get it off again.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts