Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only owned one pair of running shoes, and don't know how often you should replace them. The ones I have have served me well. They fit perfectly, and I've never had any injuries. I've had them for about 1.5 years, and I estimate I've run about 1600 miles in them. Friends tell me there is no way I should keep running in them and I should replace them immediately, but they feel fine to me. They aren't worn down and still fit as snuggly as they ever did. So, do I need to fork out another £80 immediately, or should I wait until they are visibly worn?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How on earth did you manage to run 1600 miles in the same pair of trainers without making them look visibly worn??!? :eek:

The "recommended" thing to do (although most likely recommended by shoe salespeople more than anyone else :p) is to replace them after 400-500 miles I think. If your shoes were less drastically over this, I would say keep them a little longer, since they obviously fit really well and you aren't injured. But after 1600 miles?!? Check the soles, and try to remember whether the paper-thin parts weren't about 2 inches thick when you bought them :rolleyes: And try out some new shoes in a sports shop, see if you can notice a difference in the amount of support your feet get.

To be honest, yes, I do think it's time for some shiny new shoes :cool: Since the ones you had obviously did very well, maybe you could try and find the same again?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am amazed that no one else has asked you the magic question:eek: WHAT MAKE ARE THEY?:)
I understand your reluctance to change from a pair that do the job. I did over a thousand miles in a pair of Nike yankee trainers in the eighties and didnt find anything to touch them for years.
I wouldnt do it now though.
The merits of changing your trainers regularly cannot be over emphasized.
There is the absorbtion of shock to consider as well as the support and once you have gone over on your ankle you can be out of it for years believe me.
I vote you bin em:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are a pair of New Balance running shoes that I bought in the sales. Ive checked the soles and there aren't any parts that are really thin. They still have all their grip. mind you they did were quite thick when I bought them. Surprisingly, i get through everyday walking shoes really quickly, as they tend to wear down on one side, but my running style seems to be kinder to my shoes. I will get some new trainers though, as I'd like to get some properly fitted by a professional, rather than off the shelf. Maybe I was just really lucky with these off the shelf trainers?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
JBBury said:
I will get some new trainers though, as I'd like to get some properly fitted by a professional, rather than off the shelf. Maybe I was just really lucky with these off the shelf trainers?
That`s the right thing to do JB............................1600 Miles.........:eek:

Can anybody beat that ??

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My old Asics Gel Kayano's did about 600 miles and I'm sure if i'd put them in the wash they'd have come out as new! no worn grip or anything... felt a bit robbed when I finally did buy some replacements. Still have the old ones sitting to one side though, i can't bring myself to chuck them :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heeded the advice and purchased a new pair of New Balance. They are almost identifical to my old pair. I got them for £20, reduced from £60 :) I wore one of the new pair and one of the old pair and there is a big difference. My new ones are far more springy. I will make sure in future to replace them regularly. I am a bit sad that I have to chuck my old ones though. They have served me so well. I went for a last run with them this morning. It was a nice gentle 8 miler and the sun was out. Now I'll chuck them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts