Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically as the thread title suggests?

Running uphill is fine :'( I shorten my stride, look up to open my airway and hope the hill runs out before my heart. Just as I read in the magazine.

But, down hill is another matter. I either want to flail my way down, out of control, hoping I don't trip or check my stride in which case all my toes stack up in the toe of my trainer and I get RSI in my spine as my heels crash into the ground on each landing :((

There must be a better way and here is the only place I can be sure of several different correct ways, so I can find the one which suits me,

TIA

Giles (See, the pre race questions begin :d)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I know what you mean!

I do the same as you going up. I always go down at a slow pace as this is where I catch my breath and recover from strugging up the hill and by the time I'm on level ground I feel fine. If I were to fly down, I know damn well I'd flip over.:wacko:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Hrun,

I used to have a terrible job running downhill and would always end up with a terrible jarring in by lower back. My hubby bought me a book called "Run for Life" a womens guide to running which quoted Keith Anderson who is a champion fell runner. He recommends that you run "like a rag doll" down hills. The extract from the book goes as follows;

Don't lose control completely. Taking your arms a little wider can help with balance, and given that moving your arms faster increases your leg turnover, slowing your arms down a little should improve your control. Avoid the tendency to look down at your feet, instead look ahead to choose your path and then trust your feet to find it. If you've got the space, try 'traversing' across a steep slope rather than heading straight down it. You'll probably find that the front of your thighs, and perhaps your knees, feel sore after a lot of downhill running. This is because the muscles are lengthening while they are contracting (known as eccentric contraction), which auses more post-exercise soreness than when a muscle shortens and contracts (concentric contraction).

I now always run like a "rag doll" (downhill anyway!) and find it so much easier ..... no back pain at all and I also find I can run much more quickly and confidently this way! :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I, at least have the advantage of my size 11 1/2 feet stopping me of tipping forward. For you it must be murder :p
You're so right, that's what I always say. My size 1 1/2's in a size 3's isn't good. Don't get me started on my feet size. Bought some normal shoes for work the other week and thought great they fit me, but now they are slipping off my feet as I walk and all my workmates laugh at me.

Anyway take your time going down those hills. Your might trip over your own feet:lol::p

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very fast..............or rather as you say...out of control!

Thats what I am trying to avoid.

Thanks SarahE, that sounds like an interesting idea and I would never have ordered a book for women.

What I really need is some running shoes with those heelies built in :confused:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I haven't ran down a troublesomely steep hill for a while now but when I did run down I just let gravity do it's funky thing!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
stand tall, try and keep things under some kind of control without braking too much. Running downhill well can make up a lot of ground in a race for relatively little additional exertion! :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
That can make things worse, as I just think that the drink will make me sick as well as the claustrophobic environment of the plane:'(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts