Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

How are you? I'm here to make some friends and get some tips on how to get fit quick!!

My passion has always been running - I got as far as the trials for England girls when I was in my teens, but gave up the serious training to be with my friends (who didn't share the passion)

since then though i've been keeping the running going with a few 5k races and some half marathons. This time last year and I was the fittest I have been in a while, but then I got married in the summer...and from then, my fitness has fallen (mainly due to my career, not being "comfortable" - the company has been getting smaller and smaller until it was announced it would close 3 weeks ago - so you can imagine all the pressures - I have been running an IT department all on my own for the last 2 weeks - plus loads of interviews....)

..anyway all good now - just been offered a good job, and have a week off next week to relax, but want to start getting the fitness levels back up...starting with a run tonight....any ideas on what would be best to start with??

Cheers,

L x :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome Leehaa.

I'm fine thank you!

Glad to read you plan to get back into the groove again.

I guess tonight's first run depends on when you did actually last run. I f it has been some time then go out for an easy run for a not too long a distance...get that body of yours slowly used to running again before trying to return to past glories!!

Have you anyone to run with?

Good news on the job offer...good for you!

Best wishes Steve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve said:
Welcome Leehaa.

I'm fine thank you!

Glad to read you plan to get back into the groove again.

I guess tonight's first run depends on when you did actually last run. I f it has been some time then go out for an easy run for a not too long a distance...get that body of yours slowly used to running again before trying to return to past glories!!

Have you anyone to run with?

Good news on the job offer...good for you!

Best wishes Steve.
Hello there - nice to meet you!

Good good!

Thank you - well my weight isn't too bad, but mind and health in general is really sluggish, so hopefully I can turn it all back round again reasonably quickly!

Yes - this is why I was hoping for some advice... :embarrassed: went out about 3 or 4 weeks ago just for 20 minutes but almost collapsed and felt physically sick- have been put off since....before then, it was probably back in early August last year!!! :embarrassed:

Thank you - it is such a great load off my back!! :d

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Leehaa said:
Hello everyone, How are you?
Hi Leehaa, I am really well thanks.

Welcome to the forum the people on here are really nice and helpful. I am quite new to the forum and I haven't asked any questions yet! I seem to find all the answers from what others have asked already.

Good luck with the job and the running:d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
a quick 16miler should tell you everything you need to know ;-)

or maybe something shorter.

(and may i also say... well hellooooo)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ed_m said:
a quick 16miler should tell you everything you need to know ;-)

or maybe something shorter.

(and may i also say... well hellooooo)

LOL :d If I can do 1/4 of that tonight I will be very pleased!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zanshin said:
Hi Leehaa, I am really well thanks.

Welcome to the forum the people on here are really nice and helpful. I am quite new to the forum and I haven't asked any questions yet! I seem to find all the answers from what others have asked already.

Good luck with the job and the running:d

Good!

Thank you. Sounds like it must be quite an informative place then, well welcome to you too!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Leehaa said:
Hello there - nice to meet you!

Good good!

Thank you - well my weight isn't too bad, but mind and health in general is really sluggish, so hopefully I can turn it all back round again reasonably quickly!

Yes - this is why I was hoping for some advice... :embarrassed: went out about 3 or 4 weeks ago just for 20 minutes but almost collapsed and felt physically sick- have been put off since....before then, it was probably back in early August last year!!! :embarrassed:

Thank you - it is such a great load off my back!! :d
I'm guessing you tried to go to fast on that last run. It is important that you treat this as a new beginning and gradually build up those metaphorical running bricks!

Find a short loop on those cycleways in CMK and time how long it takes you to get round at an easy , not breathless, pace. Make a diary note of this so you can then do a regular time check on this route say every 2 weeks.

Prepare a schedule of say 3 runs a week....increase distance/time by no more than 10% each week.

Find a local running club to join...helps motivation and makes running more sociable.

Wish I could find a job!:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve said:
I'm guessing you tried to go to fast on that last run. It is important that you treat this as a new beginning and gradually build up those metaphorical running bricks!

Find a short loop on those cycleways in CMK and time how long it takes you to get round at an easy , not breathless, pace. Make a diary note of this so you can then do a regular time check on this route say every 2 weeks.

Prepare a schedule of say 3 runs a week....increase distance/time by no more than 10% each week.

Find a local running club to join...helps motivation and makes running more sociable.

Wish I could find a job!:(
Thank you for the advice - your latter point is really important - I ended up doing an hour long ministry of sound aerobic workout because I got all dressed up, then was too nervous to go out (this is partly because I only moved house recently and don't really know the area too well - all the more for finding a running group / club!!). I am going to do another of these workouts tomorrow, rest Friday, then go out for a proper "explore" on Saturday when there is more time to find a nice route...then will try a routine like you suggestde based on how the saturday run goes!!

Oh dear - were you made redundant too?!? Good luck with finding one - what is your field?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd go out for 30 mins, I wouldn't be too worried about walking if you get out of breath.
I'm a pro athlete and I was ill for 5 weeks, it took me 2 weeks to be able to run for an hour without stopping for a break.

Once you can run for the magic 30 mins then you're going to be able to start doing some structured routines.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
team-lewis.co.uk said:
I'd go out for 30 mins, I wouldn't be too worried about walking if you get out of breath.
I'm a pro athlete and I was ill for 5 weeks, it took me 2 weeks to be able to run for an hour without stopping for a break.

Once you can run for the magic 30 mins then you're going to be able to start doing some structured routines.

Hope that helps.

Cheers for the advice. Will give it a go on Sat.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Leehaa

Welcome to RF.

It won't be long before you are back running to how you know best, it is amazing how quick it can come back.

TT :d

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
twinkle toes said:
Hi Leehaa

Welcome to RF.

It won't be long before you are back running to how you know best, it is amazing how quick it can come back.

TT :d
Thank you! :d

1 - 20 of 26 Posts