Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I’m not one for wanting to know how far I have run or how fast or what my pace is/was. I go out, I run and when I get to my front gate I glance at my watch and see approximately how long I’ve been out and about for; it’s very rare I even plan a route, I just run around and decide if I am going to turn left or right or carry straight on.

Ok so I was out running on Friday morning. Arrived home just as it had started to get light; glanced at my watch and I’d been out for 50 minutes! My curiosity got the better of me and today I mapped my run. 4.6 miles (7.4k) I was quite chuffed with this, didn’t think I had run so far! I know this is not particularly far or very fast compared with some/most (maybe all) forumites, but hey I’m pleased.:d

Have any other forum members had the same experience?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i have to admit, im a huge techy and like gadgets.. im also a major planner.. and cant cope if everything is planned to the nth degree.. i therfore cant run unless i have a planned route/ time/ distance etc.

but i guess its each to their own.. :)

good stuff non the less

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Yes, I had a similar experience the other week, but unintentionally- I'd set out to run a route of approximately 4 miles, but I managed to get hopelessly lost, going round in circles and seeing the same landmarks over and over again! When I got home and mapped where I'd been, it was just over 6 miles- a partial triumph, I suppose...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
HaHa and so starts the path of the logger. Before you know it you will be keeping excel spreadsheets, diaries, completing the Runnersforum blog and starting posts titled "which garmin should I buy"

Welcome to my world :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm usually quite the opposite... I think Hayley recently started a thread on the topic. lol.

Funnily though, on my 'abandoned' long run on Saturday, where I was part way through the run and had done 7 miles (it felt like ~11miles), I decided to head home, expecting my 15mile run to end up as a 10miler... I plodding along the remaining miles to yake the shortest route home, grumbling as I went, to find I'd actually done 12miles instead of the expected 10. So not quite as bad as I'd originally thought!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Running without a planned route or a watch is something I do every now and then....it's good for the soul not having to worry about how far you've gone/how long you've been out.
Pure running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok so I was out running on Friday morning. Arrived home just as it had started to get light; glanced at my watch and I’d been out for 50 minutes! My curiosity got the better of me and today I mapped my run. 4.6 miles (7.4k) I was quite chuffed with this, didn’t think I had run so far!
I had a very similar experience last Saturday - I went out for a run and it was lovely and sunny and I ended up running through the city centre for further than planned. When I got home I went through the tracks I'd listened to on my Ipod, and was pleasantly shocked to find that I'd ran for 50 minutes. Then I checked my route on walkjogrun.net and found I'd ran about 4.5 miles as well. Felt great :)

Also...

HaHa and so starts the path of the logger. Before you know it you will be keeping excel spreadsheets, diaries, completing the Runnersforum blog and starting posts titled "which garmin should I buy"
...I've started keeping a training blog on here, and just bought a Garmin 101 Forerunner the other day, hehe :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have been running around my area for so long now I know roughly how far certain routes will take me now or if add bit on here and there I know how far they are too, without looking at my garmin, I may as well sell it :lol: but I wont.;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm the total opposite, I don't particually run for pleasure, I see it as training for my other sports.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts