• 70 plus

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I normally run 30 to 40 miles per week but in a bid to increase speed and reduce lard i've up'd it to 55+
Depends on what distance you're aiming at. Mine is marafun

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm about 30 per week off the back of three-four training sessions. Looking to up this a bit with marathon training getting under way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One day I'll get over 20 miles a week. That's with a long run on Sunday and 2 lunchtime runs. More frequently and my legs always hurt. I'm 43, is there hope?:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Am currently around the 70mile+ mark on two runs a day, but hope to hit 100+ by the time Belfast comes around on 1st May.

Miles make champions (Lydiard)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
NFRoadRunner said:
Am currently around the 70mile+ mark on two runs a day, but hope to hit 100+ by the time Belfast comes around on 1st May.

Miles make champions (Lydiard)

I used to think that too, but last year my training kept getting interrupted and I didn't get my usual mileage in... then took 17 minutes off my marathon time, and then a 9 off my half time... all on less mileage than normal.

At the moment I'm hovering around 40 a week, and with a little over 5 weeks til a marathon i'm usually at about 50+

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are all those miles necessary?

:eek: Scary being around here. Currently 20-30 miles a week coming back after an injury.
Never done more than 40-ish a week but still hoping to run my first marathon late May this year. Better start moving my feet

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Mileage will always help.
You need to build up to it very gradually though. What is the most you have ever run?
You must ask why you have never done more! My biggest week was 109 on a training week in Portugal, all done on my own too!

·
Registered
220 Posts
There has to be a point where more miles actually detract from your performance and your body just hasn't got time to recover. Would have thought more than 11 runs a week would be pushing it?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Greg... I think you're right. I know people who have done mega mileage and never achieved their targets... one guy used to put in regular weekly mileage of 70 to 80 and never got a marathon time better than 4.20, and is only just coming back after 18 months off with injury.

I know of someone else who runs no more than 40 miles a week on a marathon schedule and has a marathon PB of 3.15.

I know some of this is down to natural ability but I have experienced the same myself...at the moment I can race during a half marathon at sub 7 pace quite comfortably off of 40 miles a week.

I think the crucial thing is getting the type of training right and in balance with the right amount of rest and correct nutrition.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Before track season up to 55 miles a week, when track season starts, down to 40/45 miles/week, more intense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts