Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive reacently been following a training plan via my Garmin 305 and the garmin training center app.

As part of the plan i was doing interval sessions between 5.1 mins/km and 5.2 mins/km

The plan has now finished and im looking towards upping my 10km pace.

I know i need to inclease my pace...for the intervals as my average 10km pace is 5.16 mins/km i.e smack in the middle.

the question... should i creep up the pace so i will now start doing intervals at 5.00 mins/km - 5.10 mins/km or should i just a bit of a jump and start on 4.45- 5.00 mins/km
or maybe even more.

the actual intervals have varied from 400m with 200m recovery, 800m with 100m recovery, pyramids, and combinations there of.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to mention... i think i could push to a 4.30 mins/km pace but not sure for how long i could hold it for/ how many reps i could manage

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think you have a few options beasty.

I would either reduce recovery time further but maintain the pace that I have managed,

increase the amount of reps, keeping the speed,distance and recovery times the same

or, as you've suggested, increase the pace but not to the extent that I wouldn't maintain consistancy for the whole session.

I would try to make small improvements weekly, to avoid over doing it.

Push yourself in any way you can think of and you will soon discover what does or doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well ill give a 400m with 200m recovery at 4.45-5.00 a go tonight..

whats the worst that can happen :worried:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i meanaged to finish my intervals without throwing up with an average of 4.40 for the quick bits.. but my god it was hard :) which i guess is all good

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Beasty, sounds like a good session, I'd try and continue the longer reps at 10k pace though as these are best thing for training you body to hold a good pace for a long distance. The quicker 400's are the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Well done Beasty. Sounds like you pushed yourself.:d

You don't have to throw up for it to have been a good session, you'll still notice improvements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts