Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..company do you like when running?

Do you like running alone? With or without music?

Do you like a single running partner?

Do you like running alongside someone on a bike?

Do you like running in a group?

Do you prefer the tready?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've become used to running alone with just me and R2. I must say I do prefer it as it's "my" time and I can do a bit of thinking or mouth ridicously to songs.

Plus who's going to want to run alongside a sweaty, smelly red-faced man????

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I like running with my mate without music so we can chatter (like calling my moody OH).

Like running with a group too.

Don't think I could keep up with a cyclist.

Never ran on a tready and don't fancy it either.

:)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Alone ,without music .

It means i can run when it suits me as i seldom run at a set time of day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run alone, outside, without music.

I'd hate running with a partner, and in the past have had friends asking if they can come with me, and although I said yes, I was never keen on the idea. When I suggested a particular route to one friend she told me that was way too much and suggested a route which was about a mile long. It just wouldn't have worked and she didn't bother in the end anyway.

I have a friend who keeps pestering me to go swimming with her but I just don't really like the idea of that either and prefer my workout time to be my time.

I'm borrowing an MP3 player so I can listen to the interviews I recorded for my dissertation while I'm out running, and that's all the company I want!

Although actually I wouldn't mind trying running with a club, but it's something I haven't got round to.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I like to run outside, alone, no music.

I'm stuck with having to use the gym during the week, at the moment, for practical reasons, but that will change with my new job - I'll be able to fit in a run before I go to work in the morning :d

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Outside with music. Not always alone sometimes I take my dog, Daisy with me:d

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I run with my running club during the week, so there's always someone to run with. Usually I only run with one or two people at most, but like running alone from time to time too.

I like doing my long run with other people, as I always seem to stuggle on the long runs on my own.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I run twice a week withe the club in a group... though this often becomes a few smaller groups when people decide to run at varying paces.

Saturday I'll often go over and see my dad who'll come out with me for my long run on his bike, which is always nice... any other runs, speedwork etc, I just run alone. Never listen to any music though. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I run alone, with my ipod shuffle. I can sing my heart out to 'Space Pirates' (or at least grin madly if I'm mid run) because I live in the sticks and I rarely meet anyone else unless it's peak dog-walking time. Running is my time to de-stress after work and have some time to myself - and I can do it this way whenever I please!

I went running with my other half once, but he's virtually a foot taller than me, and we just couldn't find a sensible pace for both of us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of my friends texted me last night and asked me if we can go for a run together this week. I'm not keen on the idea, but the same friend a couple of months ago, who had never done any regular exercise before at the time, said to me "I hate runners because not only are they healthy but they have to run around in public and shove it in everyone's faces". Since then she has taken up swimming and Jane Fonda workouts, and has, bizarrely, decided that her goal in life is to appear on Gladiators. She also keeps going on about how fit she is now, so I thought I'd take her out with me and see how it goes.

My other half says I'm being too easy on her as she is only going to join me for a 3.5 mile easy run, but I don't want her to get injured!

:p

I don't know if she'll go through with it though because I have a suspision that she was just p*ssed up last night...

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I run alone sometimes without music but usually with it. Have ran a couple of times with someone else and it has always been terrible most think that they are fit and can keep up. They can't. This means I have to stop wait get cold then run at a slower pace than normal. Running is my me time I do it because I want to not to go out for a bleather with someone. Also I often change my route as I am running to suit my mood this often involves an increase of distance or a hill. Doing this with a partner causes problems.

I sound like a right miserable bugger.

Happy Squint

·
Registered
693 Posts
I like to run alone as I can go at the pace I'm comfortable with and try whatever routes take my fancy. I took my ipod with me for the first time yesterday and think it made a huge difference so I'll be doing that every time now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've become used to running alone with just me and R2
You run with R2D2?! You don't do steps then :lol:

I run outside on my own with music.

Unfortunately I've ignored all the advice that you should be able to have a conversation with someone whilst running, so I'd be embarrassed to go out with someone now and wheeze through a conversation! I listen to music because a) If I listen to my own footsteps and wheezing it'd put me off, and b) I need some distraction to keep me going!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run alone sometimes without music but usually with it. Have ran a couple of times with someone else and it has always been terrible most think that they are fit and can keep up. They can't. This means I have to stop wait get cold then run at a slower pace than normal. Running is my me time I do it because I want to not to go out for a bleather with someone. Also I often change my route as I am running to suit my mood this often involves an increase of distance or a hill. Doing this with a partner causes problems.

I sound like a right miserable bugger.

Happy Squint

I don't think you sound like a miserable bugger, if feel exactly the same way. I like running by myself, outside with music. I like the freedom of wondering what's in a certain direction and going off to find out without worrying about anyone else. I also don't like talking on my runs and I do sometimes feel the need to moan with pain - you don't want anyone else hearing that kind of thing.

A word of warning to those who sing along though.....I was singing loudly to 'come on Eileen' (my husbands i pod I hasten to add) when I rounded a corner into a bunch of 'yoofs' very embarrasing.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I run alone. It's my time, my therapy, and my sanity!

Although I do love running with others in races, I've discovered. Even when half of them are running past me! :)

I tried listening to music but don't like being detached from surroundings, in any case it's nice to hear birdsong when I run the woods.

I don't understand why people run races with headphones on (not short races anyway) - I love the sound of everyone else's pounding feet and the grunts graps and groans, my own included, as everyone pushes themselves is music enough to my ears :cool: Can see why an Ipod would be a big help on a Marathon etc though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
A word of warning to those who sing along though.....I was singing loudly to 'come on Eileen' (my husbands i pod I hasten to add) when I rounded a corner into a bunch of 'yoofs' very embarrasing.
That happens to me all the time - I enjoy it now! Funniest one was when I was singing 'I like big butts and I cannot lie' and an old guy came round the corner! :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts